• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice on replacement ram.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kemon

Ok well I have 2GB Corsair XMS 3500ProLL DDR sdram. One of them went bad so I had to send it back to newegg... and they just informed me that this model is discontinued so they're refunding my money, so I need to figure out what to buy now... any suggestions?

I saw a post down the forum about the same thing pretty much and they suggested Crucial Ballistix ram PC4000 but as far as I can see they're out of stock and I really can't afford to wait... i need it asap. I was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146034 and was wondering how that was. It's more expensive but in stock. Also I forgot to mention i have an Asus A8N32-SLI board.

I could go down to PC3200 also and it would be cheaper... i'm not much of a ram expert though so not sure what the difference is speed-wise between pc3200 and pc4000

Kemon said:
I saw a post down the forum about the same thing pretty much and they suggested Crucial Ballistix ram PC4000 but as far as I can see they're out of stock and I really can't afford to wait... i need it asap. I was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146034 and was wondering how that was. It's more expensive but in stock. Also I forgot to mention i have an Asus A8N32-SLI board.

Are you saying that they are out of stock at Newegg or Crucial?
Your board takes the same ram as mine and Crucial has them in stock, or at least it doesn't say out of stock

whats your fsb?
for optimal performance, you want your ram speed to match your processor's fsb
pc3200 is 400 mhz run in dual channel mode it will be 800 mhz
pc3500 is 433, in dual channel 866
pc4000 is 500, dual channel 1000mhz (or 1ghz)
pc4400 is 550, d.c. 1100
and pc4800 is 600, d.c. 1200
tiger direct still carries all of these (the pc4800 is in the pc4400 catagory)
here it is,
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=1075
hope this helps,
Denny

Out of stock at newegg, and they're much more expensive on crucials website.

Kemon said:
Out of stock at newegg, and they're much more expensive on crucials website.

Yeah I just noticed that but the newegg is oem on the 2 gig kit.
What a diff in price though, $179@ the egg versus $339 at Crucial.:eek:
Even the retail sticks at the egg are much lower in price.
I've always got my ram straight from Crucial but me thinks it's time to stop that habit.:bang head

Ok that actually helps alot Denny, I've got an FX-60 processor in an Asus A8N32-SLI. I'm at work so I can't look, i'll have to see what the HTT is at.

just to clarify, what Denny/ynnedibanez said is totally wrong.

pc-3200 runs at 200mhz, but they call it ddr-400, because it executes two 'operations' per clock. running in dual channel does nothing to the actual clock speed of the memory, it will still be at 200mhz. you can extrapolate this line of thought to all other speeds. example, pc-4000 runs at 250mhz, but they call it ddr-500. while in dual channel, they still run at 250mhz.

ddr2 ram can do the speeds he listed. the ram you see in my sig is ddr2-667. its stock speeds are 333mhz. i run them at 500mhz, or ddr2-1000 speeds.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
just to clarify, what Denny/ynnedibanez said is totally wrong.

pc-3200 runs at 200mhz, but they call it ddr-400, because it executes two 'operations' per clock. running in dual channel does nothing to the actual clock speed of the memory, it will still be at 200mhz. you can extrapolate this line of thought to all other speeds. example, pc-4000 runs at 250mhz, but they call it ddr-500. while in dual channel, they still run at 250mhz.

ddr2 ram can do the speeds he listed. the ram you see in my sig is ddr2-667. its stock speeds are 333mhz. i run them at 500mhz, or ddr2-1000 speeds.

totaly wrong, no, i don't think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yes, it is a little misleading, but to simplify things they call it ddr400 because it has the same throughput as 400 MT/s of processor buss speed because it does 2 operations per clock even though it really is 200 mhz.
in dual channel mode it has throughput = to 800 MT/s processor bus.
thus keeping it at a 1:1 with a cpu's fsb at 800.

this guy wasn't asking for the tecnical stuff and how all of it works, he simply wants new ram for his system and was wanting to know the differances in speed in ddr. and i simply told him the easiest way to match the ram to the processor at a 1:1 ratio.
so hopefully all this technical crap he was not asking for in the first place won't confuse him.

but anyway, to be technical, pc 3200 (also known as ddr400) has,
a clock speed of 200 mhz x 2 cycles per clock = 400 mhz bus speed.
400 mhz bus speed x 8 bytes (bus width) = a transfer rate of 3200 MBps (ie pc3200)
in dual channel mode it will have transfer speed of 6400 mbps.

a processor with a fsb of 800 MT/s has,
a clock speed of 200 mhz x 4 cycles per clock = a bus speed of 800 MT/s
buss speed of 800 MT/s x buss width of 8 bytes = a bandwidth of 6400 MBps
processor bandwidth of 6400 = pc3200 bandwidth in dual channel mode. (3200 x 2)

i was definitely not wrong.
Denny

yes you were totally wrong. you had the OP's needs in mind, but you simply cannot say that something like this is factual:
pc4000 is 500, dual channel 1000mhz (or 1ghz)

this will cause more confusion in the OP. to say that ddr-500 actually runs at 1ghz when in dual channel is TOTALLY wrong. in actual fact, the ram RUNS at 0.25ghz, THAT is a fact. ;)

even my ram, that RUNS at 500mhz, or ddr2-1000 speeds, you cannot say that they are running at 1ghz, even though they are at ddr2-1000 speeds. would you tell me that because i have them in dual channel, that i am actually at 2ghz?

dual channel has never given a 100% improvement over single channel in terms of real performance. it is usually around a 1-10% difference. here's a link with some benches to back that up. its a socket 754 (single channel) vs a socket 939 (dual channel) at the same cpu clocks and memory clocks. looks like the biggest difference was 6%. some tests were much less than that.

like i said, you had the OP's needs in mind when you posted, so i won't fault you for that. but you really need to be careful about how you quantify things. to say that ddr-400 runs at 400mhz is WRONG, and when the OP goes and buys new ddr-400, maybe he will be wondering why its only running at 200mhz, when you told him it would be 400mhz (and he'll probably wonder why in dual channel, his speeds aren't jumping up to 800mhz, as read by a program that reads the ACTUAL clocks, like CPUZ).

just to make it clear, your line of thinking would be the same as me claiming that my e6300 is running at 7ghz. well, i've got 2 cores at 3.5ghz each don't i?

Last edited:
let me say again that i am absolutely correct.:)
you are definitely correct in your stated clock speeds, BUT, look back at my first post in this topic.
i never once mentioned clock speed, not once.;)
i see now that you just misunderstood my post.
i was referring to bus speed, the speed the ram is named for.
and also it is the measurement for the processor's front side BUS, (not front side clock speed)
for instance, if the fsb of a pentium 4 is 800 mhz, the front side clock speed is actualy 200 mhz, multiply that by 4 cycles per clock = 800 mhz fsb. (i am sure you already knew that, just mentioning that so people who don't will understand)
it is a little misleading, (or a better word, confusing) to go by buss speeds when a lot of programs go by clock speed, but hey, i am not amd, intel, micron, or ocz and i have no authority on the specs that they give or name their products for.
nice links, btw
i was aware that the improvement you got from running dual channel was not 100%, but i thought it would have made more of a differance than that!!
thats kinda sad, really!!
oh well, its still an improvement at least:thup:

Kemon said:
Ok well I have 2GB Corsair XMS 3500ProLL DDR sdram. One of them went bad so I had to send it back to newegg... and they just informed me that this model is discontinued so they're refunding my money, so I need to figure out what to buy now... any suggestions?
If you still have the memory, you could check with Corsair and see if we have a replacement in our RMA stock or, if your DIMM could be repaired.

CORSAIR FORUM
888-222-4346

Unfortunately that's not possible, I sent it back to newegg and they just refunded my money so I no longer have the ram. I still haven't ordered any ram so hopefuly i'll be doing that today.

Well, good luck with your replacement choice then and sorry you had a problem. I think the only suitable replacement we currently have is the PC3200C2 2 x 1gb kits but, they do not OC as well as the PC3500LL.

Yeah, that's the only reason i'm not going with Corsair this time, if they still had the 3500LL i'd be all over it. I really liked it.

Back