• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ECC or NON-ECC DDR for Shuttle AK31A REV.3.1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orroro

I am looking at getting PC2100 Crucial/Micron unbuffered NON-Parity memory for a Shuttle AK31A ....They also have registered ECC...From what I can tell this Mobo can use both ECC and Non-ECC..which would be the best to get.. also when they refer to registered memory, is that the same as ECC?? If I get 1 -128mb stick to start off I will be getting another to go with it..If I do this then which memory type will pair up the best.. Or should I just go with 256mb to start??
Also,,,my AGP video card I plan to transfer to the new Shuttle board uses SDRAM,,(Elsa WinnerII 32mbSdram,AGP4x),,Will there be a problem with using DDR SDRAM on the board if the video card does not have DDR Memory??
Thanks for your help...I LOVE THIS FORUM AND WEBSITE!!!!
:)

Ecc and registered are not the same thing

Error correction check => ECC

it makes sure a bit has not been flipped

ECC is slower, but more reliable

it has to transfer an extra 2 bits

you can only use ECC or Non- ECC, can't mix them up

and there will be no problem with the video card

ddr and sdram are the same thing

Get Non ECC, ECC is more reliable, but RAM is very reliable nowadays anyways. ECC is really only used in the server enviroment now.

William said:
Get Non ECC, ECC is more reliable, but RAM is very reliable nowadays anyways. ECC is really only used in the server enviroment now.

yea its messing up my ti500 now, so im gonna see if i could sell it, and buy some pc2400 :)

Back