• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G.Skill HK DDR2 800 won't handle vDIMM> 2.1V

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kishin

Registered
for some reason i cant increase the voltage on my HKs above 2.1V. i've seen other people go to 2.3V, but when i try 2.2v it causes severe instability issues. it'll boot to windows but once i open a folder/program my computer will crash and reboot. i've loosened the timings to 5-5-5-18, which i'll eventually tighten once i reach my max cpu overclock. i've run 495 fsb with vdimm at 2.1V stable for 1.5 hours, but increasing the vdimm to 2.2v causes the above problems. any help?

are these rams d9's? if so, they do better with tighter timings in my experience.

if they aren't d9's then disregard what i said.

alright so i tested the ram individually using memtest and came up with some confusing results. First, i tested them at stock settings and timings and ram stick #1 passed 4 hours of memtest without error. Stick #2, however, had 2 errors after 4 hours of memtest. i then changed the settings to what they were at while i was overclocking (500 FSB, 5-5-5-15 timings) and changed the vDIMM to 2.2V. in this case, stick #2 can boot and run windows smoothly and received no errors in memtest, while stick #1 failed memtest horribly with 12 errors during test #5.

It's pretty obvious stick #1 will have to be RMA'd since it's the one having trouble running at higher voltages but i don't know about stick #2, since it did receiv 2 errors at stock settings, but can operate at 2.2V.

should i RMA just stick #1 or both? i bought these from newegg so i dont even know if i can rma just 1 stick or if i'll have to rma both.

dfonda said:
Don't tell them the reason your RMA ing them.:)and:welcome:to the Forums.
one of the sticks had error after 5 hours of memtest, at stock speeds. i would tell them that's why they are getting rma'd.

Back