• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding Dual Channel Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

14U24ME

I am presently using OCZ DDR2 dual channel memory 2x1GB kit..can I add more Dual channel memory of the same brand and timings but in a 2x512mb kit...to have a total of 3GB ...without it screwing dual channel up????

THANKS...

I did the same upgrade except i had the OCZ DDR2 667mhz 2 x 512 previously and purchased 2 x 1GB OCZ dual channel memory. My system is now unstable. It will not even allow me to install an OS (XP or Vista) with both pairs installed. If I only use the 2GB pair everything is ok or if I only use the 1GB pair everything is ok.

When I run memory test all sticks pass except when installed at the same time. I'm beginning to think my MOBO may the culprit (Abit AW8-MAX)

Some motherboards are finicky about have all four slots populated. But otherwise 2x512 + 2x1024 should work just fine for dual-channel.

Thanks Guys..I just ordered a matching 1GB kit to add to my system..

CrazyIrish said:
Some motherboards are finicky about have all four slots populated. But otherwise 2x512 + 2x1024 should work just fine for dual-channel.
I just upgraded to 2x1GB and 2x512MB on my mobo and it's running fine.

Gillbot said:
I just upgraded to 2x1GB and 2x512MB on my mobo and it's running fine.

Yeah I'm hoping to do the same soon myself. Or maybe just 2gigs of much faster ram....hrmmm....

Back