• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The SiS645 chipset for Pent.4 using DDR333 ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hookem

Hey guy's I was wondering if anybody out there is using either the ECS P4S5A or the MSI 645 Ultra that use the SiS 645 chipset and DDR333 memory ... I am very curious about either of these boards ... any sites, reviews, or personal experience would be greatly appreciated !!! THANKS

http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=1541
for the SiS chipset itself - looks to smoke Rambus when in DDR mode

http://www.ocworkbench.com/hardware/microstar/645ultra/645ultrap1.htm
the MSI board...looks to at least match the Rambus based boards. Writer seems entertained that the red motherboard matches well with his video card...go figure.

couldn't find anything on the ECS board - it'll probably be like most other ECS boards, though....inexpensive, fairly stable (from the ones I've used), and with a very slim set of features.

You need to accept that some people just like intel, and will get intel because there are other things that matter other than just pure speed....

I've got the MSI 645 Ultra. I like it very much. I'm using King Max DDR333 with it. It's every bit as fast as my TH7II with RDRAM. I'm going to put my watercooling setup on it and see how high she'll go. The DDR333 doesn't o/c very much, won't go much higher than 350mhz. But I can run it at a lower ratio and it gives me alot of head room to o/c. If you want to o/c with this board your going to have to keep that north bridge nice and cool. It heats up quick on this baby.:)

Did you see the new link added to the article on the front page about the P4 and memory bandwidth. If not you might want to take a look at it here.

Read the entire article and then make up your mind about the big DDR versus RDRAM debate. I believe that RDRAM will continue to be the way to go for maximum performance.

SP said:
Did you see the new link added to the article on the front page about the P4 and memory bandwidth. If not you might want to take a look at it here.

Read the entire article and then make up your mind about the big DDR versus RDRAM debate. I believe that RDRAM will continue to be the way to go for maximum performance.

actually the i850 is only about 1-2% faster than the Sis645, i think that the 645 is a better bargain though personally i would get a i845D for stability and overclockability.....RDRAM is a ripoff and even Intel is starting to realize it.....

funnyperson1 said:

actually the i850 is only about 1-2% faster than the Sis645, i think that the 645 is a better bargain though personally i would get a i845D for stability and overclockability.....RDRAM is a ripoff and even Intel is starting to realize it.....

You didn't read the article did you? You didn't see how much performance increased as the Rdram was clocked higher. As processor speeds get higher and higher memory bandwidth will become more of a bottleneck and the fact is that when it comes to bandwidth Rdram is king. DDR333 is new. PC800 has been around and is old news now. Even still PC800 and I850 offers more bandwidth. When PC1066 and PC1200 are introduced the bandwidth of RDRAM will once again increase. Also, if you read the article you'll notice they mention that most all PC800 rimms will easily do 133Mhz for PC1066 performance.

the real difference will be when the 2.4Ghz and higher come out

and i think that people will be singing a different tune when SSE2

is fully utilized for the Rambus Bus

RDRAM is expensive, and doesn't give alot of room for overclocking,

but it was never designed to be that,

i like RDRAM more than DDR, but i'm still not impressed with either that much

oh ya, pc1200 is right around the corner

Back