• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What happens if your RAM's FSB is faster than your CPU's ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TigerLord

Registered
As title says...

I ordered some Team Xtreem DDR667 CL3 , which are I'm sure you know D9, so I've seen them pushed up to 525mhz on 2.3V on CAS4.

I have an E6600, so should I absolutely keep an 1:1 ratio for best performance and keep a FSB of around 475mhz , with a multiplier of 8 on the E6600, assuming the processor can take it. If it doesn't, what happens if I let the ram run at, say, 525mhz but the FSB of the CPU is lower?

nothing, it will only process the info as fast as the cpu can send it basically run at the same FSB but not really., now the advantage to buying ram faster then a cpu FSb is if you overclock, it removes the ram from being the bottleneck, until you reach the ram FSB speed.

Would I get a higher performance if I set a ratio of 2:3 ot 4:5 so I can use higher FSB?

TigerLord said:
Would I get a higher performance if I set a ratio of 2:3 ot 4:5 so I can use higher FSB?

You can always try it and see what happens. About the worst thing that can happen is you will waste a little time.
Try it and do a little testing.:)

Peepaw said:
You can always try it and see what happens. About the worst thing that can happen is you will waste a little time.
Try it and do a little testing.:)
Ya, it is always different, depending on not just which parts are used, but the parts themselves. If a person with an x2 4800+ can get to 2.8ghz a core, it doesnt mean that another person with the exact same parts is going to achieve that. The best way to see is if you do it yourself. And if your rams higher then your cpu, well, try to raise your cpu to meet it :D

Yeah, 1:1 should be the best performance spot for you, but if you have the time and energy then test out every possible configuration to see what works best.

Ok so now the question is..... I have RAM that runs at 4.4.4.12 at 1111Mhz

How on earth am I going to OC my C2D from 1066 to 2220?

Mycobacteria said:
Ok so now the question is..... I have RAM that runs at 4.4.4.12 at 1111Mhz

How on earth am I going to OC my C2D from 1066 to 2220?

555 fsb x 7 multi :) if your board can even get to that FSB speed.

~ Gos

Yup. You want a 1:1 ratio in my experience (amd exp.) and you want your ram to run as high as possible which means that you might need to drop the multi on the proc. 555fsb x 7 multi would be great.

If I use Super PI as a measure of performance, I'm slightly better running DDR1000, 4:5 @ 4-4-4-6 than DDR800, 1:1 @ 3-4-4-4. It's harder to tell with 3DMark as the scores will vary slightly with multiple runs at a given memroy frequency and divider, but the up divider and higher frequency seems to benefit it ever so slighlty also.

It's so small it's hardly worth mentioning in 3DMark, but it's more noticeable and consistent in Super PI, though nothing earth shattering.

And though I can run several variations of 3-3-3-x at DDR800 I found I get better DDR800 Super PI results running 3-4-4-4. I also tried numerous (too numerous to mention) combinations of sub-timings at both 3-3-3-x & 3-4-4-4.

Back