• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good overclocking memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok thanks for the info!

Will the 800 set have a better max potential overclock than the 667's, or will it be exactly the same?

i would think the same. the ram chips are the same. i went with the 667's because they are binned to run the tighter timings, i'm not sure all the ddr2800's could do the same. i must say i am very pleased with these rams. i have run a 32m pi at 525mhz, 4-4-3-6.

every set of ram will be different mind you.

Something to keep in mind is that with the E6600's multi, you don't really need super dooper clocking RAM. DDR2900 speeds will get to 4Ghz. Unless you have Excellent water or Extreme Cooling, you most likely won't be going higher than that.

Just something to keep in mind before spending a lot of money on RAM when you could save a little $$ and spend it on a video card or something else.

nothing wrong with dropping the multi to max out your ram. ;)

if i had a e6600, i would probably run it 7*520 or something day to day.

Ok. On that note, is it better just to get the E6300 if I am overclocking? I heard it has an easier multiplier or something?

Unless you are on a budget, no. It doesn't have an "easy" multi. It has a low multi. Which means you need faster memory speeds to get it to clock higher. Plus most of the E6300s now are Allendales which don't clock as well as the Conroe.

jEevion said:
Ok. On that note, is it better just to get the E6300 if I am overclocking? I heard it has an easier multiplier or something?

Nono :) I'm not saying the E6600 is bad for overclocking, just that if you have an E6600, you don't really HAVE to have super overclocking RAM.

I mean if you are just using air cooling (and I'm assuming you are) you probably won't get over 3.6Ghz. Which with an E6600, is 400Mhz FSB....and that's DDR2800 speeds.

I was just saying you could save some money on the RAM if you wanted to. But if you do buy expensive RAM, there's nothing wrong with that :)

If you did decide to go with a lower chip, I'd go with the E6400, not the E6300. With the E6300 you are kind of going in the opposite direction where you would need that super overclocking RAM to achieve a higher overclock.

new Allendale e6300's don't even clock well enough to test the limits of these rams. an e6600 will clock really well (they are still conroe of course) and you have the option of lowering the multi for maximum ram clocks. you don't HAVE to, but you can.

with an Allendale e6300, you don't really have any options. the allendale might max out at 3ghz, which only needs 429fsb/429mhz on the memory, which is a walk in the park for these rams (and many other kinds).

Ok, E6600 it is! I was already pretty much settled on that anyways. And I'll probably go with the 800 memory, just for the heck of it. Money isn't a big deal. Thanks a lot guys, I got two threads going now, I'll stay in my other one now.

jEevion said:
Ok, E6600 it is! I was already pretty much settled on that anyways. And I'll probably go with the 800 memory, just for the heck of it. Money isn't a big deal. Thanks a lot guys, I got two threads going now, I'll stay in my other one now.

It should do any speeds you want it to :)

Be sure to post back with results!

Well I want to get this built asap, but I still need help with other parts, and am not sure if I should wait until G81/R600.

jEevion said:
Well I want to get this built asap, but I still need help with other parts, and am not sure if I should wait until G81/R600.

It shouldn't be too much longer for those...I'd say if you can wait, it might be worth it. You'll either be able to get a G81/R600 or you'll be able to get a G80 at a reduced price.

What PSU are you going with?

I'm still thinking about the PSU. I really, really wanted a modular unit though, to minimize excess wires. To be frank, I suck at wiring, so the less I have to work with, the better. But this time I am going to try my best, even if it takes the better part of an afternoon.

to tell u the truth most end up using all or most of the wires of the modular psu and u save more by not buying a modular just hide the wires behind the mobo tray or something (depending on ur case )

btw 6400 Oc's better then 6300 about what range?? (allendales)

Would I have to drill holes in the motherboard tray to get the wires back there? If so, would I have to get a case that has a removable tray to do that? Thanks.

Back