• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ PC3200Dual Ch.OCZ400512ELGE Default 2.8v??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lordgalla

Registered
Hi All; I have 1Gig of this OCZ Gold Dual Channel Ram on a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 with a Athlon64 4000+ SanDiego Cpu..I have the Ram voltage in the bios set to +0.2v,What does this give me for voltage on this ram?? Dosen't seem like enough.I think this Ram needs like 3.0v to run at Default 2-2-2-5 Timmings..Should I use OCZ's booster in one of the other 2 slots to get it to 3.0v?? Then I might be able to overclock it to around 480mhz.I have it set to 450mhz now running the cpu 2.7ghz.w/ 2.5-4-4-8 Timmings and it is stable there..Just Wondering about the voltage,as to what it is,I think it's 2.7v,if so it isen't even at the Default voltage of 2.8v.What do you guy's think?

Attachments

• photo1.bmp
    176.8 KB · Views: 155
if you have +0.2v in bios that means your ddr voltage is at 2.0v. It's 1.8 + 0.2= 2.0v so if you have +0.3 it's 2.1v +0.4 2.2v etc..

I don't think that's right,are you saying I'm running my Ram a 2.0v.That can't be the stock Default voltage on the ram is 2.8v...I just have the DDR voltage control in bios set to increase DDR Voltage +0.2v.That's the highest it will go.I'm just wondering what the total voltage the ram is running at with the +0.2v set in bios,when I bought this ram it said it was 2.8v default voltage..If I'm only running a 2.0v,then that's why I can't overclock it any more,without increasing voltage with a ocz Booster to arould 3.0v,,Then I might be able to get 250-260mhz out of it??Think so?

If these are them: OCZ EL PC-3200 Gold, then these are the specs:

# Rated clock speed of 400MHz DDR
# Ultra-tight timing of 2-2-2-5
# Supports VDIMM of 2.8-3.0V ± 5%
# Gold-plated copper heatspreader
# Ultra Low Noise 2 (ULN2) PCB

You don't need 3v to run 'em @ default timings. My guess is you're undervolting them. I don't know how to read the voltages in gigabyte boards so it looks like either:

A) you're not giving them enough voltage
or
B) the board itself is undervolting or something is wrong with the voltage feed to the ram
or
C) The ram is defective if it needs more than it's rated default voltage to run it's rated speed/timings.

You Got it thats the ram I have 2x512 dual channel Gold Series 2.8v Default.
I think there running at 2.7v,the results is at the top of this thread.the timming is right now at 2.5-4-4-8 and HTT set at 225 see above cpu running at 2.7ghz ram 450mhz,this is highest I can go stable.Maybe if I use the ocz ddr ram booster and get the ram vdimm to 2.8-3.0v I might be able to get 250-260 out of it? What do ya think? I tried changing multiplyer ect. no good left at 12x and HT 3x.seems to work best

Yep, the board is undervolting your ram. Now remember that not all PC3200 ram will run 250. 225 isn't bad for PC3200. Also remember that the higher FSB you go, the looser the timings will be.

Why don't you try lowering the ram divider to see if it's the chip is maxing out ? Lowering the divider to 166 (333MHz) will rule out the chip without taxing the ram.

nope,it's not the chip,it's the ram.the reviews on this ram say the warrety is good to 3.0v on the ram,I'm at 2.7v..Do ya think it's worth sticking a ocz ddr voltage booster in 1 of my other 2 ram slots,and getting the voltage up to 2.9-3.0v?? May be able to higher,and also tighten those timmings a little to..Or maybe just leave it here,it's a Athlon64 4000+ Sandiego running at 2.7Ghz. Multiplyer x12.0 bus speed 225Mhz,Ht Link 675.0Mhz.and 2.7v on the Ram now.I did up the Voltage on the cpu to 1.55v form stock 1.4v,seems cool enough 27c at Idel and 34c loaded.I don't think there's a problem there.Thought's on the OCZ DDR Booster? for this ram.

I doubt it bro, but I suggest you look at the mobo compatibility page here and see if your mobo is supported.

Again 225 for PC3200 is not bad, but if you're determined to get 250 and ramp 3v into it, then go for it. I'm going to tell you, you won't make it. Not with PC3200, unless it's BH5 which is rare. Your best bet is 235 and that's pushing it. If you get 250 @ 1:1, tight timings with that ram and show me a stable screenie, then i'll eat my words.

Good luck :beer:

ok,Thanks for all the help.I thing 225 going to do it then for this ram.Some day,I'll put 2gig of dual channel ram.ok for now,Any suggestion's for ram when I go to 2 gig Dual 2x1024 for this board?

Here's the review on my Ram,check it out,there's a video there to.

http://www.3dgameman.com/content/view/147/39/

Last edited:
lordgalla said:
ok,Thanks for all the help.I thing 225 going to do it then for this ram.Some day,I'll put 2gig of dual channel ram.ok for now,Any suggestion's for ram when I go to 2 gig Dual 2x1024 for this board?

Here's the review on my Ram,check it out,there's a video there to.

http://www.3dgameman.com/content/view/147/39/

Nice review. Well then, looks like you do have a chance @ 250. But just remember the 250 is not garanteed. Just because that guy got ( or so he says)
the 260 with 2-2-2-5, but had to use 3.4V to get there, doesn't mean you will get it too.

I would vote on getting the DDR Booster (see if your board is supported) and then try the 235+. Remember to have a fan blowing air across the ram to cool them @ high voltages.

Don't forget the screenies.

Hey Nebulous; check this out.I but the OCZ Booster in and set my ram to 3v and the timmings tightened up to 2.0-2-2-5 Fsb 245 highest I could go to be stable.Cpu 28c Idle and 36c loaded checking with memtest 1000% coverage no errors.I have a case fan above the ram slots blowing down on them,and the front door case fan.I think it's cool enough,that booster heatsink gets hot,and it's facing the ram in the second slot,but not touching it..I think the fans will do..Here's the results,Stable.

Attachments

• Cpuz.bmp
    176.8 KB · Views: 126
And this is what I have the Ram set at now,was 2.5-4-4-8 before This,Seems to be stable here, at 2.0-2-2-5 Vdim at 3.0volts

Attachments

• Memory.bmp
    176.8 KB · Views: 124
Seem's to be running Sweet here where it is now.The booster is at 3.0v and very stable,with these timmings for 1 gig of dual channel ram.Almost hit 3Ghz,not quite,but this is close enough for me.The booster was worth it.Just have to keep it cool,and you better have 2 open slots to put it in,It takes up a lot of room.But if you only have 1gig of dual channel running,This is it man,The way to go.

I had that ram and the OCZ DDR booster on a Gigabyte K8NS Ultra with a 70mm fan blowing on the ram and i was able to get 250mhz / DDR500 with 2-2-2-6-T1 with 3.4v. And on a MSI Neo 2 platinum i was able to get 260mhz

Last edited:
I'm sure I could get more out of it,if I go to 3.2v or 3.4v but I think it's performing just nice here at 3.0v 245,at 2.9Ghz This is real smooth for this 4000+ Sandiego and for Pc3200 DDR 400 Ram. I can't complane.I think these are nice overclock numbers,Stable,and not to hot heat wise..I like it here guy's. Running real nice smooth no errors,and not pushing it to far,by all means.Thanks for all your help,and I hope you all like the numbers,I have achieved,and am happy with.Thankyou

Yeah i dont blame you.After a while i was worried id burn my ram up so i lowered the voltage to 3.0v and OCed the ram till it wasnt stable anymore which was around 232mhz at 2-2-2-6-T1 so i backed off to around 226mhz and ran it there til i went with OCZ PC3200 Platinum Rev2's (TCCD) which i ran 300x9x3 / 1:1 with 2.7v and 2.5-4-3-7-T1.

BH5 and CH5/6 UTT IC's are nice and love high voltage and tight timings but i dont like running all those volts .It just keeps me worried about my ram .For me when it comes to DDR 1 and 1 gig sets of ram.I like TCCD because of the low voltage and very high FSB with fairly tight timmings.

Last edited:
Ya; I here ya,ran prime95 1st time 17min. 1 error.had to do with voltage..Turned up Cpu to 1.550v and ram to 3.1v,plenty of cooling.and ran prime95 Torture test again,Cpu 28c Idel,42c Fully loaded in Prime.Ran Prime 95 a couple of hour's Tortrue Test,Never got above 42c,and no errors..Ram Timming Still 2.0-2-2-5 2t Running 245. Whats that 2T? Ya Think I can drop that to 1T? All I Know is Im Happy.

Last edited:
Yeah t1 should work on that board and with that ram no problem.By the way thats some nice results 245 at 2-2-2-5 with 3.1v.Like i said mine needed 3.3v for that.

Last edited:
gigabit said:
Yeah t1 should work on that board and with that ram no problem.By the way thats some nice results 245 at 2-2-2-5 with 3.1v.Like i said mine needed 3.3v for that.

Thanks,Do I have to change anything else to go to 1T? I really don't want to have to change the timmings any from this 2-2-2-5.Or the 245. Should I just leave it alone? at 2T What do ya think?

Back