• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual channel 333 vs. single channel 400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

basil_555

Hello,

I've overclocked my Opteron 165 to 2700 Mhz with 1:2 memory divider. Since I'm using 3Gb memory in dual channel mode, when oveclocked, it runs at 150Mhz. I have the option of switching to single channel mode and, with 3:4 divider, to try and run memory as close to 200Mhz as possible (like 192 or 225, if I am lucky) or stay with the current settings (dual channel, but slower memory speed). What should I do?
Thanks!

basil_555 said:
Hello,

I've overclocked my Opteron 165 to 2700 Mhz with 1:2 memory divider. Since I'm using 3Gb memory in dual channel mode, when oveclocked, it runs at 150Mhz. I have the option of switching to single channel mode and, with 3:4 divider, to try and run memory as close to 200Mhz as possible (like 192 or 225, if I am lucky) or stay with the current settings (dual channel, but slower memory speed). What should I do?
Thanks!

why cant you run dual channel with 3:4 divider... also i see you have 3gb... meaning 2x 1gb and 2x512mb? id get rid of the 2x512 as amd systems tend not to like more than 2 sicks of ram.

nd4spdbh2 said:
why cant you run dual channel with 3:4 divider...

Setting the divider to 150Mhz makes my computer reboot every time windows starts up. It seems, that my memory doesn't like it. I'm able to overclock only when I use 1:2 divider. Yes, I have 2x512Mb and 2x1Gb SEC DDR400 memory.

nd4spdbh2 said:
why cant you run dual channel with 3:4 divider...

But is this really possible? It would make my memory run at 225Mhz, while the default for dual channel systems (as far as I know) is 166Mhz.

basil_555 said:
But is this really possible? It would make my memory run at 225Mhz, while the default for dual channel systems (as far as I know) is 166Mhz.
it depends on the ram, but yeah, its possible, that's what overclocking is all about!

i've got some ddr-333 that will do ddr-500+ speeds. i've also got some ddr-400 that won't do a lick past ddr-440.

Back