• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stick seems to have bit the dust.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vulcan

I came home to a black screen with only a mouse cursor today. Reboot, log in and services start crashing down around me. Tried returning to stock speeds [ram was actually under clocked already, anyway], booting into xp. Orthos crashed within 10 seconds with large fft.

Long story short, I pulled one stick of ram, and everything seems to be back to normal now. I still need to test that stick to confirm that it is faulty.

I'm thinking that I'm going to pick up some value ram to hold me over while these are being RMA'd. They are 1Gig sticks of OCZ DDR2 1100, by the way.

Are the any good D9 deals right now? I'd be willing to skip the value ram if I could find a good D9 deal.

Oddly enough, I tested both sticks on their own and they were fine.

Testing them together now again and everything is fine.

I'm lost.

I think I'll let orthos run overnight at stock settings.

Mycobacteria said:
when tested together in dual chanel?
Yes, they are in dual chanel now and seem to be fine. I've been running orthos for a few hours on large fft and no problems.

Earlier today, I couldn't get large fft to run for more than 5 seconds.

Rattle said:
might be the mobo
That was my thought as well, but I can't figure out how it would start working again for no reason.

Well, Orthos ran overnight on large FFTs no problem. I'll leave it runing for another 10 hours or so.

I'm totaly baffled, and still tempted to pick up a different ram/board just to have handy until I'm sure the problem is sorted. I don't have a backup system right now, and I REALLY can't afford to have this system be totaly non functional for more than a day.

Well, found this over at XS...

i was running into TONS of problems/crashes/memory erros/BSOD/etc... even after i put all of my settings back to stock.. i wasnt even stable at 2.4ghz!!!

i had to reset the cmos (remove battery) and start all over.

you should keep the power disconnected at least long enough for the little green light to die out... then plug back in...

since i have been following this procedure, i have had NO problems...

according to gtj "Make sure you've completely removed power from the motherboard whenever you make a voltage change. I.E. Pull the plug and wait for the little green LED on the MB to go out. If you don't the VRM doesn't pick up the new voltage."

That could explain some things.

And I thought this board would be bug free. Go figure.

Back