• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i845 with DDR? WHY?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arch5

I am currently looking at the TH7-II raid and the P4t-e because with the socket 478 and Rambus options they seem like the best pick for future upgrades and performance.

I saw on another thread someone mention waiting for the i845 chipset with DDR support to come out. Why? I am under the impression that to fully realize the power of P4 you need Rambus Ram. Is there a new kind of DDR that will be coming out that is better suited for the P4?

Very curious. Hmmmmm.

Someone please explain.

DDR memory is a lot better and faster than SDRAM. RDRAM is only a little better and faster than DDR. I think the other person decided that the RDRAM and the i850 motherboards are too expensive. However, looks like DDR is raising their prices. Personally, I'd rather use the i850 mobo and RDRAM. Why settle for second best just to save a few bucks.

Last edited:
sum info

Here the stats:

Dual Channel PC800 RDRAM
Clock 400 Mhz
Differential? Yes 2x
Bus Width in Bit 2 x 16-bit = 32-bit
Bus Width in Byte 2 x 2 byte = 4 byte
Peak Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

PC2700 DDR-SDRAM (DDR333)
Clock 166 MHz
Differential? Yes 2x
Bus Width in Bit 64-bit
Bus Width in Byte 8 byte
Peak Bandwidth 2666 MB/s (25% jump from PC2100)

PC2100 DDR-SDRAM (DDR266)
Clock 133 MHz
Differential? Yes 2x
Bus Width in Bit 64-bit
Bus Width in Byte 8 byte
Peak Bandwidth 2133 MB/s

PC1600 DDR-SDRAM (DDR200)
Clock 100 MHz
Differential? Yes 2x
Bus Width in Bit 64-bit
Bus Width in Byte 8 byte
Peak Bandwidth 1600 MB/s

PC133 SDRAM
Clock 133 MHz
Differential? No 1x
Bus Width in Bit 64-bit
Bus Width in Byte 8 byte
Peak Bandwidth 1066 MB/s

PC100 SDRAM
Clock 100 MHz
Differential? No 1x
Bus Width in Bit 64-bit
Bus Width in Byte 8 byte
Peak Bandwidth 800 MB/s

DDR is beeing less cheap these day, thats a fact, but in the long term ill bet more on the PC2700 price than RDRAM. Since RAMBUS is wurking in coop with intel, anyone who willing to use their RIMM module got to pay the price (a %) on any sold product. Right now VIA and others are struggling against a law suitcase against intel (P4 bus law protected..) so we can expect DDR to grow alot more when they are done (SIS chipset beeing exempt of it with their partners: Asus, MSIs, Gigabytes etc.). RDRAM run at a 400 Clock speed (hot!), DDR can almost deliver the same performance if you look at these stats and its way more promising at future clock upgrade (it already deliver more FPS at Q3 test demo). My guess is that RDRAM gonna die since the constructor doesnt want to pay an extra fee for selling at extra cost RDRAM modules... Ill go with DDR and intel go to hell.

Back