• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No boot; I think it's memory related.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr

I've had this problem ever since I've owned my 2gb kit of Teamgroup d9s. Here's my problem; whenever I unplug my computer / leave it off for a certain amount of time, my computer REFUSES to boot after I plug it in (Regardless of time, 5 minutes to 2 days).

It happened recently (At a LAN), I unplugged both memory sticks and put them into different slots, it seemed to work until the next time I unplugged it.

Now that I'm home, I left my computer running until I had to move it into my room. Same scenario, it still won't boot. I tried rearranging the memory sticks, reseting CMOS, anything I could think of to get this mother to boot, unfortunately no go.

I've run it at 2.25v most of it's life (.05 over stock), I don't think it should be giving me problems. Anybody?:mad:

It could be the ram. Try one stick at a time to see if it boots. If that doesn't work, try booting with no ram. You should get beeps from the mobo. If yes, try another stick of ram in different slots. If no go, try to borrow a stick that is known to be good. If no go, then use this troubleshooting guide:

Try removing all cards except video. Disconnect hdd's and CD Roms and all other devices connected to the computer. Remove all but one stick of ram. Try to boot. If it boots, then something you disconnected is causing it. Replace them one at a time testing for boot. If no boot, remove video card and boot. Any beeps? If yes, then video card is bad. If no beeps, remove ram and boot. Any beeps? If yes, then ram is bad. If no beeps, remove cpu and boot. Any beeps? If no beeps, then either psu or mobo is bad. Try them in another computer. If beeps, then cpu is bad.

Another weird thing is, whenever my computer is on (24/7), it doesn't crash (OCs in Sig). I can have this running orthos for 8 hours and I won't have a hardware weakness cause it to crash.

Does it pass memtest 86+ (when it is on)?

Is it in dual channel (when it works)?

With 1 stick at a time do you have problems?

I had a similar problem, the MB reported it was feeding 2.2 volts into the ram but in reality it was much less. so sometimes it would start sometimes it didnt. I increased the voltage to 2.4 and now it starts all the time...

Never ran memtest, but I ran orthos for 8+ hours (memory / CPU intensive options). I ran dual channel while it was on. I ran each stick individually in all 4 slots so far.

Memory is completely dead, both sticks (Not sure how the **** that happened). I put in a PQI PC5400 512mb stick and booted RIGHT up. After taking out the 512mb, I tried each ram stick in all 4 slots, no go. Yay, now I have to RMA.

That doesn't really make sense, when memory fails, it should NOT pass Orthos for any amount of time. It doesn't make sense that when your in Windows it works. This sounds more like a motherboard issue to me, if it works in Windows and Orthos, it makes 0 sense that it would be faulty hardware...

Well, it worked 10 minutes before I unplugged it, then it just DOESN'T BOOT. When it was working, it would pass orthos for any amount of time that I threw at it.

It's a motherboard issue. I added a stick of ram in single channel and it booted right up. Asus RMA here I come. The board is tweaking out from the memory.

Why is it no working now? LOL

I just know that asus will make you jump though hoops with the RMA. And they will ask you what ram you used etc...

Back