• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bought 2 sets of RAM for C2D build, which should I keep?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ufbusman

Hello,

I am building my first C2D system, and keeping it very very low budget. I have pretty much all the parts except the CPU and MB and RAM. I plan on buying an E4300 when the prices drop in April, and a Gigabyte 965P-DS3. The rest of the components I've been collecting in the last month or so whenever I can find a good deal (if you need to know what else I'm planning on putting in the build I'll add it).

My question is I found two half-way decent RAM deals and went ahead and ordered them both from Frys.com and they should be here tomorrow or so. I don't have a setup yet to test them in until I buy the CPU/MB in April. I want to try and OC pass the 3Ghz barrier and was wondering what you thought about this RAM, I'm only keeping one kit the other one is going back (or perhaps they might both go back!)

VS2GBKIT667D2
I read on anadtech that the Cosair Value Select weren't doing very well OCing at all, but the reviewers on NewEgg seem to be having better luck and to get the 3Ghz overclock I don't have to push them too much higher. Also they don't come with heat spreaders, so I'll have to add some, so about $5 more.

OCZ2P8002GK
From what I've gathered about people who have gotten the OCZs these are going to be Rev. 1. I have other cheap memory to initally boot and set the voltage to use these so that won't be a problem.

I want to keep it as cheap as possible (every $5 counts, I'm a poor college student) but I want 2Gb and I want to try and get the 3Ghz+ OC and I really don't do any gaming. I would consider some other RAM, but really I can't spend over $150 and the closer to $100 that will get the job done would make me even happier.

What do you all think. Keep the OCZ for the extra money? Go with the cheaper Cosairs? Or get something different all together? Thanks for your help.

TECH-DETAILS:

OCZ DDR2 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-6400 800MHz Dual Channel Kit - OCZ2P8002GK

800MHz DDR2
CL 4-5-4-15
(CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
Unbuffered
Platinum Mirrored XTC Heatspreader*
Lifetime Warranty
2.1 Volts

for $139.99 - a possible (but very iffy) $25 MIR = $115.99

---or---

DDR2 2GB PC5300 DUAL CORSAIR Value Select
Speed: 667MHz
(2X1GB)Modules
VS2GBKIT667D2
Timing 5-5-5-15

for $139.99 - $30 MIR - $5 Pricegrabber Rebate = $104.99

The OCZ has lower times and its faster!

Considering they are about the same price I would probably buy the OCZs

(And im a massive Corsair fan)

Mycobacteria said:
The OCZ has lower times and its faster!

Considering they are about the same price I would probably buy the OCZs

(And im a massive Corsair fan)

Yeah that is true and the fact the OCZs come with the heat spreaders too. The only thing is the rebate probably won't go through. OCZ doesn't have the rebate from Pricegrabber in their system. And the rebate only says "valid at national rebate participants". They won't committ to whether Frys is a participant so I'm not sure if they will accept it or not. and I've talked to three or four people at the rebate center, it has to be postmarked by Friday but as of today they still don't have the offer number in their stupid system. So if the Cosairs would do the job, I would be happy staying with those-- just not sure if they will!

And if I get stuck paying the $140 for the OCZ, I imagine there is some other RAM out there for the same price that is doing better in the OC arena than the rev 1 OCZ sticks I would be getting for $140.

grayg said:
hhm I think some OCZ RAM had problems with the DS3

I did some reading and I think it was only with the Rev.1 DS3, but not entirely sure. But maybe not.

So will the Cosairs let me get 3Ghz+ or should I be looking for something else all together?

Can you push corsair value select to 750Mhz?

Your safe bet is still with OCZ that do 800Mhz out of the box! You wont have to touch it except maybe reduce the times to 4.4.4.12 (IF you can)

You know that that MB and CPU can OC beyond 3.3Ghz... And you know you will be deeply cut if your RAM holds you back.

Yeah that does make sense. I am just worried for 2 reasons. Its Rev. 1 of the ram and thats the one that had all the problems with the DS3 (but from what I read, rev 3.3 of the DS3 fixed that). And the fact of the sketchness with the rebate. I will try calling the rebate center one more time tomorrow to see if the rebate has *finally* made it into their system. I mean if I told you I had $140 to spend on ram I dont think anyone would suggest that I buy Rev1 OCZ I am getting. It does look a lot cooler than the Cosair Value sticks though :)

Back