• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell and A-data Ram HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BoysBoysBoys

Registered
I bought this ram A-DATA 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail for this computer Dell OptiPlex 320 and when I put them it and turn the computer on it beeps a whole bunch of times and does nothing else. Is there a hacked bios I need or flash the SPD? Please Help :( This is the current setup...

untitled1cz7.jpg
untitled2vo0.jpg

untitled3ht5.jpg
untitled4au9.jpg

Last edited:
Have you entered bios to see the ram setup? Is it set to spd? The timings of the new ram are totaly different using an spd of 18-5-5-5.

Ok, I paired one of the a-data with the crap kingston and it works. So if I put the two a-data together is it not working because the motherboard won't dumb them down to a frequency of 333 instead of 400? the motherboard suppots a frequency max of 333 (DDR2-667) I beleve. Here's slot #2 now...

untitled5xt6.jpg

Oh, and why is that 3.2GHz processor running at 2.4GHz :confused: Every 30-60 seconds it will flash that it is running at 3200.0MHz and x16 multiplier.

I hate DELL for not letting me adjust anything in the bios :mad:

You would need to disable C1E in bios. With it on, it drops the multiplier if your processor isn't in full use. Try the other stick of ram and see if it works. If it doesn't it's a bad stick of ram

The closest option to throttling in the bios was called speedstep and it is marked as off. I saw nothing that said C1E. I removed the one a-data module and placed in the other and it works fine, so both of them work just not together.

It is using the spd from the Kingston ram and is not reading the A-data at all. Is there a setting to enable ESCD in bios. This resets it's hardware configuration that is saved for booting and reconfigures everything. This should make it read the spd of the ram in slot 1, unless there is another setting for ram timings.

Sorry to revive a 6 month old thread but I was having the same problem and did not see a resolution.

There is no option to disable C1E in the Dell BIOS and every Optiplex 320 machine in our company was "stuck" at only 2.4Ghz unless the CPU was under heavy utilization, then it would revert to full speed. On any other Dell model it seemed to revert to full speed as soon as you did anything, basically as long as the computer was not idle.

<edit> The fix is to download the 11/6/06 ATI chipset driver from Dell and install. C1E will still be enabled and throttle the CPU down to 2.4Ghz at idle, but any utilization, even just a few % will kick the processor back up to full speed. This has drastically improved the performance of these machines.

I also found a nice program called RMClock from RightMark which you can use to disable C1E altogether.

Last edited:
Back