• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ABIT, Highpoint Controllers, CD-ROM access

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

typhoonmike

Okay I have two computers. One has an Abit BE6-II rev 1.2 and the other one has the Abit BX-133 Raid. Both use Highpoint 370 controllers to run the UDMA66/RAID stuff. I noticed this problem a while back with just the BE6-II but never payed much attention until recently when it really got on my nerves. The CD-ROM drives I've had in the computers worked fine when I had my Hard drive on IDE1 and the CD-ROM on IDE2. But when I moved the hard drive to the UDMA ports and started using the Highpoint controller, my cd-roms starting acting really crazy. One likes to kick the tray out during boot up. I don't have it set in the bios to boot from cd-rom so I have no clue why it's offering me the chance to put a disk in. But it only does it if there is a disk in it on boot up and it doesn't always do it. That's not a big problem though. It's the cd-rom on the BE6-II that is causing the most trouble. Was ripping some cds of mine the other night and some disks it would refuse to read. It would start to access the disk and cause my computer to go unstable. If I booted the computer with that disk still in it it would still crash. This is even with auto-notification turned off. It always sometimes sounds as if it's spinning so fast it's going to blow up. Just wondering if others have had similiar problems. It only happens when I set the computers up to use the Raid or the UDMA controllers on the motherboard.

Back