• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Capacity, Dual Channel, Configurations & Throughput?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gillbot

Ok, i'm running a Biostar Tforce 6100-939 mobo and I notices something interesting today. I picked up another 1GB (2x512MB) of ram to add to my current 2GB (2x1GB). To ensure compatibility I ran memtest86+ v1.55 of course and everything passed ok in all configurations. Just the 2GB, Just the 1GB and the 3GB all together.

I did notice one thing that was rather weird though. If I run JUST two sticks regardless of confguration i get about 2100MB/s memory throughput but it actually DROPS to about 1800MB/s if I add another 2 sticks and fill all four slots. What gives?

Would it be worth it to stay with the 2GB and keep the extra throughput or is the extra volume better that that small gain in throughput?

I saw that in the sticky and I believe it's running 2T all the time anyway, though i'm not as familiar with DDR as I was with plain old SDRAM. I may have to give it a try. Can even junk value ram handle 1T or is it more of a controller timing?

Back