• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To RMA or not to RMA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gregc5985

I bought a Patriot 2x1GB PDC22G6400LLK DDR2-800 set rated at 4-4-4-12 2T at 2.1v. I installed these in a new box with an Asus P5W DH Deluxe MB with an E6600 CPU.

I couldn't get one of the sticks to do the rated 4-4-4-12 at DDR2-800 at either 2.1 or 2.2v. While emailing back and forth to Patriot tech support about this I went ahead and did some basic overclocking and discovered the RAS Precharge wouldn't work at 4 would would work at 5. I was able to get the system to run stable at FSB 350X9 (3.15GHz) with the memory set to DDR-875 at 4-5-4-12 at 2.1v, all components set at stock voltage.

The tech support guy got back to me today and said I should just run it at 4-5-4-12 and that "The difference is minimal." I suspect he's right but I don't know for sure.

The question is should I just run with what I have or go through the $$$ and hassle to RMA the memory for a stick that will do what Patriot rates it at? I need your expert advice!

Thanks in advance.

My minimum requirement for all hardware I purchase is that it performs as advertised. That being said, If I didn't have any other ram and therefore wouldn't have a rig until they got back to me...well lets just say it would be a tough decision.

smokie mcpott said:
do they offer advanced replacement?

As far as I can tell, no.

I will be building a new box for my wife's birthday next month so I have the option of getting the memory for that box now and using it until I get the RMAed memory back...

As a rule I would want my ram to run it's rated speed/timings. I went thru a hassle with Corsair just a few weeks ago. I sent in a 1gb kit of CMX-4400 because it would fail to run it's rated speed of 275 as advertised and printed on the label, that's why i bought it :rolleyes:

Well here's the long version .

Anyway I would recommend you RMA them. You paid for a certain level of performance and you should get it. I mean, hell, I would.

If by saying it wont run at the rated timings --- that it failes memory test then I would RMA it

Back