• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any DDR1 4GB(2x2GB) available?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Zx2Slow said:
Are there any DDR1 4GB(2x2GB) available? Preferably DDR500.
I have never seen any DDR ICs of the proper density to make a mainstream unbuffered DIMM at any speed, much less DDR500. You might find some at PC3200 but, as mentioned above, I shudder to think what they would cost. I am certain that "IF" they exist they will cost MUCH more than registered ECC server DIMMs.

Those DDR2 sets are only a few months old and DDR2 is the current popular Dram (thus will get only more advancements that DDR will not)

Also, it has only recently become feasible to make 128mb ICs (necessary for 2gb DIMMs) in the proper configuration and in the proper bulk to make them for large scale unbuffered memory usage. The technology simply has not been affordable until this time.

Yeah, maybe in a while a company will make some 2gb ddr1 sticks, maybe.
The market for ddr1 isn't very big anymore so manufacturers will think twice before they start producing such a thing. (then again, a agp version of a dx10 card is alos coming out soon, who knows...)

If you find any, it will likely have very high latencies and probably not overclock very well. I guess if you get DDR500 though, you might be ok. Good luck finding it.

Back