• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Linux_Box

I've read where a higher FSB/HTT requires looser timings with some memory. If my pc3200 OCZ 1GB ram (2.5-3-3-7) is running at (example) 188mhz because I'm using a divider, would this still be the case? In other words, is it the speed the ram is running at or the FSB/HTT that indicates when I should look at loosening the timings?

I've run into a wall and I'm trying to figure out where the problem is. I've got the following stable settings I can use:
11x240 = 2640 with memory at 188mhz/1T : 8m SuperPI=6m 43s
11x228 = 2510 with memory at 228mhz/2T : 8m SuperPI=6m 54s (2t is killer!!)
10x256 = 2560 with memory at 213mhz/1T : 8m SuperPI=6m 42s

2T seems to cost me about 14-18 seconds on the 8m SuperPI. This indicates a pretty decent hit on performance. I run my ram at 2.5-3-3-10 since I've read the IC on my ram gets the best bandwidth with 10. I have not really played with any of the other memory settings just yet.

Since I'm a gamer, I'm trying to tweak for gaming (COD2/COD mostly with a few others). Am I looking for a higher CPU mhz, higher FSB/HTT or highest memory speed when I have to make a compromise? Is SuperPI performance any way to indicate how the settings will affect gaming?

Thanks for any help.

Back