• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory straps and other memory mysteries

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Atomic Dawg

I’ve been working on overclocking my memory and have found out some interesting stuff:

• Dropping my CPU multiplier increases the clock frequency of the memory controller (northbridge). I have an E6600 which has a multiplier of 9. Apparently, if I drop the multiplier to 8, the speed of the northbridge will be (9/8) * FSB. So, a multiplier of 8 with a FSB of 400MHz will give a northbridge running at 450MHz! Is this correct? Did everyone know this except me?

• Next, I’ve been reading about memory straps. It seems the northbridge is cablable of changing its “timings” to accommodate higher FSBs. So, you can run into situations where a lower FSB may have better memory performance than a higher FSB.
This throws a twist into overclocking and optimizing your system. Google “memory straps” to read more about this stuff.

I received and installed a Thermalright HR-05 and this 70mm fan on to my northbridge. It made a big difference (sort of). It allowed me to do things I couldn’t do before. For instance, I could boot to Windows at 3.4GHz (8*425). I ran two instances of Prime95 for 13 minutes before it crapped out. Although the additional cooling on the northbridge seemed to remove some walls, I couldn’t get stable. I’ve still got more to learn and more experimenting to do. The joy of overclocking!

Yeah I think most on here knew that. However, good find! :beer:

Edit: Sorry reread your post. I don't think the northbridge is overclocked, considering it still runs at 400 fsb. Although I have heard of that, but just don't think it makes much of a difference even if it is overclocked. The only thing with it would be if your northbridge could not handle the higher fsb. Originally thought you were saying drop the multi, up the fsb.

The primary changes on the NB in relation to FSB speed are the latencies. A buddy recently told me that this apparent bus speed change is false and was an error shown by Everest and CPU-Z. The programs were reading the bus speed wrong.

Back