• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Faster memory is older motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

I have two sticks of memory laying around that I'd like to put into my Uncle's comptuer. They are PC3200 while currently only PC2100 is what the board takes. I know the sticks can't run any faster but it is possible to put them in the board and the board will limit them? Their PC only has 256 memory and I have 512mb of this that's why I'm wanting to toss it in there.
Duck

Slap those sticks in, they should work. It will detect the slowest stick and slow everything else down, so all the sticks will run at PC2100 speed.

Bios24 said:
Slap those sticks in, they should work. It will detect the slowest stick and slow everything else down, so all the sticks will run at PC2100 speed.
Very true "IF" the bios can do it. What MOBO is it?

In the past, I worked on an HP that used DDR2 PC2100 and had a 256mb DIMM in it. The work was SLOW with little memory so, I removed the 256mb OEM DIMM and used a Promos based PC3200 512mb DIMM. It would not work. So, I tried a PC3200 512mb DIMM that used Winbond BH5s and this DIMM worked. I also tested some TCCD memory in the machine and it worked.

So, IMO, you will need a bit of luck on several counts. First, I don't think all 3200 DIMMs will slow to PC2100. This may be due to the ICs or the SPD, I have no way of knowing. Also, the MOBO bios will play into it as you will need a bios that can properly read the SPD of newer and more dense modules. And then there's the DIMM voltage......

But, install it and try and good luck. If you have time, please let us know the system details and if it worked or not.

Yellowbeard XMS said:
In the past, I worked on an HP that used DDR2 PC2100 and had a 256mb DIMM in it. The work was SLOW with little memory so, I removed the 256mb OEM DIMM and used a Promos based PC3200 512mb DIMM. It would not work. So, I tried a PC3200 512mb DIMM that used Winbond BH5s and this DIMM worked. I also tested some TCCD memory in the machine and it worked.

So, IMO, you will need a bit of luck on several counts. First, I don't think all 3200 DIMMs will slow to PC2100. This may be due to the ICs or the SPD, I have no way of knowing. Also, the MOBO bios will play into it as you will need a bios that can properly read the SPD of newer and more dense modules. And then there's the DIMM voltage......

But, install it and try and good luck. If you have time, please let us know the system details and if it worked or not.

I don't think you really meant DDR2 PC2100. Just had to call you out. :beer:

Back