• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

installing memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tomtwostep

Registered
I'm getting the error "System failed due to overclocking" after I install my new memory. I have an ASUS A8V Deluxe. I've read about problems like these before but it wasn't exactly mine. I bought 1 gig of Corsair ram. Previously I had 2 sticks of 512 Corsair as well. I tried just putting the gig in, and got the error. I now have the 1 gig in slot B1, and one 512 in slot B2. I was wondering why it wont work when i put in the other 512 in either of the two remaining slots. (The actual slots work fine because I had my 512 there before.)

I appreciate any help.

Thanks

-Tom

I might not know the answer but I think we need to know these things to help you:

Which type of corsair ram, what voltage, what timings, how fast is your overclock if any, and which CPU.

If I had to guess, the ram sticks are a different speed.

reboot said:
I might not know the answer but I think we need to know these things to help you:

Which type of corsair ram, what voltage, what timings, how fast is your overclock if any, and which CPU.

If I had to guess, the ram sticks are a different speed.

The Corsair 512 ram i'm not sure.e

The Corsair 1 gb ram is 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 PC 3200.

No overclock at all.

CPU is AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2 GHz.

Vista Ultimate 64 bit edition, but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

I know it's RAM.

Help please.

Thank you

Check in your manual, it's very easy. Basically, you remove the power cord from your PSU, press the power button, and move the CMOS (aka CLRTC jumper) for about 15 seconds, move it back to the starting position, reapply power, reboot, reset your bios settings.

Yellowbeard XMS said:
Check in your manual, it's very easy. Basically, you remove the power cord from your PSU, press the power button, and move the CMOS (aka CLRTC jumper) for about 15 seconds, move it back to the starting position, reapply power, reboot, reset your bios settings.

I just did, and nothing. Same error.

=/

Check & see what memory the motherboard supports from the Asus website.
or you can try checking the Cosair website & see the same thing.

Sounds like the 2 different memorys do not like to play together and you'll prolly need to replace the 2x512 sticks with something your new 1gig sticks likes.

You have a 1gig stick and 2 512mb sticks? Put the 512s into the slots that are the same color, either blue or black. Does it work now? Is it running in dual channel?

Now take those two out and verify that the 1gig stick works by itself, if so remove it and put the 512s back in.

Then try using the 1gig stick in one of the unpopulated slots, with the 512s still in. If it doesn't work it may be that you have to disable the dual channel mode, or relax the memory timings in the bios.

[edit] I also suggest following warriors advice too.

Grande Juan said:
You have a 1gig stick and 2 512mb sticks? Put the 512s into the slots that are the same color, either blue or black. Does it work now? Is it running in dual channel?

Now take those two out and verify that the 1gig stick works by itself, if so remove it and put the 512s back in.

Then try using the 1gig stick in one of the unpopulated slots, with the 512s still in. If it doesn't work it may be that you have to disable the dual channel mode, or relax the memory timings in the bios.

[edit] I also suggest following warriors advice too.

Okay I put the 2 512s in the same kind of slots then the gig and it worked, but it didnt click like the computer still said 1.5 which should've been 2. Then I changed them all around and nothing else worked. Then I tried the first method again and it didn't work.

Grande Juan said:
Try running the 2x512 at least long enough to make sure there aren't any other problems first, look through the bios and check your timings. Then go from there.

Here's a good thread that may help http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=332591

It's a bit old but still useful and good luck.

you mean the 2 x 512 and the 1 gb ? i dont know how to check my timings

thanks

Most likely you will not be able to use 2x512 + 1gig sticks all at the same time. So I would use the 2x512 dual channel mode for now.

If you still have your manual, it could probably explain things in more detail, if not you can download it from asus.

If the computer works with the 1gig stick and only the 1gig stick, none of the 512s installed and if it is better memory, consider picking up another of the exact same speed.

Back