• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4GB Kits (2 x 2GB) Prices falling like a rock!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Atomic Dawg

Have you guys been watching the price of 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 kits? The price has been falling like a rock! Plus, more manufacturers are coming out with new kits every week. I ordered my new system on 3/8/07. A couple of days before I ordered my system, only two companies had 4GB kits: G.Skill and Geil. At that time, the price for G.Skill F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ (2x2GB 800 5-5-5-15) was $529. The price dropped to $429 and I ordered my system. Soon after, the price dropped to $399. Now the price is $369! That’s $160 in less than a month! Check out the current pricing on 2x2GB DDR2 800 sticks at Newegg:

The kit with the best specs is the cheapest…go figure. So, I paid 2 x $429 for a total of $858. Today, I could get the same thing with a slightly better spec for $690 !!! That’s $168 in less than a month!

Sometimes I think it’s better not to discuss pricing. It can get drepressing…

Last edited:
Ram is the worst because it's a commodity market which is driven by short-term spot prices. Most other components are more predictable.

Is there any real benefit to having over 2 gigs of ram? For a gamer, not a video editor or something else that actually uses lots of ram.

If you upgrade to vista, you'll want at least 2 gigs, maybe more.

I'm thinking about selling what I've got and buy a 4 gig set. Thanks for the heads up Atomic Dawg.

I think I'm going to stick with 4x 1GB for now. Better timings and saved me 50.00 off the cheapest 4GB set.

OK... It's two days since I started this thread, the month isn't over yet, and we've got a new all time low for a 4GB kit of $339. My GSkill RAM dropped another $20 each and we've got a new manufacturer with a 4GB kit. TWO DAYS AFTER I POSTED! Do realize I could RMA refund the RAM I bought for $858, take a 15% hit of $129, buy them back at $698 and save $31 bucks! How low can they go?!?

D'oh... I'm still on regular DDR and prices seem to be going UP! I just bought my Crucial Ballistix on ebay for more than I should have probably spent, but still cheaper than any other low latency 2GB DDR kits.

Vulcan said:
I think I'm going to stick with 4x 1GB for now. Better timings and saved me 50.00 off the cheapest 4GB set.
At this time 4x1gb (d9) is still better than any 2x2gb because they will oc further and because of interleave. Although Mushkin has pc8500 4gb kits now so it is close. Give it a few months and there will be nice 2gb sticks everywhere.

blitzkrieg1110 said:
8 Gigs of ram?? :eek: :drool:

Just wait a year or two, 8 gigs will be the new 4gigs...er I mean the new new 2 gigs...er I mean the new new new new new new new new new new new 128mb.... :eek:

Just keep in mind that you won't get more than 3.2 GB or so unless you run a 64 bit OS. At one point I had Vista x64 final with 4 GB of RAM and no page file. Everything was freakin' fast. When I clicked on MS word 2007 or IE or whatever, it just came up. No paging on the drive to wait for.

Vista ended up being to buggy with a page file or not. Would crash on MS word and would always crash on half life 2. FYI, hl2 in 64 bit mode with 4 GB of RAM never ran smooter.....that is when it ran.

I think another year or so 2 GB really WILL be the new 1 GB and with the new DX games I'm sure you will find a way to use 8GB. We had a babysitter a while back who was 12 or so. We were talking about the movie incredibles and she started talking about an animated movie they made at school. Not sure if you have kids but when they start bringing home projects like that it'll be nice to have the resources for it.

Just thinking out loud here. :)

Back