• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Developments in Holograpic Storage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grande Juan

Article here http://www.overclockers.com/articles1430/ By Ian Anderson

"While this technology does little to increase the theoretical maximum information density, it does have practical benefits. What it does is separate the returned signal from each side of the point. When you are dealing with real lenses and real read heads, this makes each point easier to read. So in effect writing points at different angle increases the real world signal to noise ratio."

The article also references a previous article and mentions a magazine article. Its obvious that Ian has a great deal of knowledge on optics. However I'm not quite sure what he's trying to say. Is this technology ever going to get off the ground or is it just going to be a while before it's ready for prime time?

He also mentions the real problem is with the reading heads and signal to noise ratio, I think. And that the disc themselves will be easily fubared by dust and scratches because of this. Please correct me if I misunderstand.

InPhase technologies already has a working unit that shipped late last year. http://www.inphase-technologies.com/technology/index.html

The following information I read about in the April issue of Maximum PC.
The Tapestry HDS-300R drive can burn 300GB at a rate of 20MB/s onto a 5.25inch disc. That is the same as 460 CDs or 64 DVDs. They plan on having 800GB discs with 80MB/s by 2008 and have 1.6TB discs with 120MB/s by 2010.

All this for only $15,000 with the discs costing between $100 to $125 each.
This is obviously to much money for the Joe sixpack crowd, however the prices will surely drop and the technology will become mainstream in just a few short years.

Your thoughts please.

Side note to Ian, any chance of putting the band back together.

Back