• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Koolance 1kw kit opinions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeffnWV

I know most guys here prefer to piece their systems together and I understand the reasons. I was curious tho of your opinions on this kit? My system specs are:

E6600 on EVGA 680i board
2- 8800gtx's
2- OCZ pc 9200 mem sticks (have 1/4" LC blocks)
CM 830 case

I may get a NB block...undecided but I have an ApogeeGT block been sitting here and will need 2 gpu blocks.

I have read pro and con comments about the koolance stuff and I even have a 1st generation Exos on my old system that has given me zero problems for the last 3 years. I like the apparent simplicity of this 1kw kit and wanted to know if anyone has one or has researched it's effectiveness? A few things I like about the kit are it's rear mounting design and it's quick connectors as well as the integration of the power up and protection circuitry.
Also I wanted your opinions on Koolance's GTX waterblocks...testing results? Comparisons to DD ot UK? etc...I'd love to pick up some DD or UK blocks but they are rare items (and twice as expensive)
I'm not looking for the highest OC scores, but rather a mid-high OC. However I want my system QUIEt so LC is gonna happen.

Lastly, what is considered to be "whisper quiet" decibel ratings for PSU fans? I picked up a 1kw unit but it's gonna have to go in a LC box...too loud.
Thx guys

First off, no point in WCing your ram... If you really need cooling on them mount an 80mm fan on top of them. EK full cover blocks are the best for the 8800 series. They are a little expensive for a full cover block, The other option is an MCW60 + mounting conversion kit.

If you are looking for simplicity check out one of the standard kits from Swiftech.

WonderingSoul said:
First off, no point in WCing your ram... If you really need cooling on them mount an 80mm fan on top of them.
I already have the ram, they come with the LC/passive sinks on them already so I might as well put them in the loop.
WonderingSoul said:
EK full cover blocks are the best for the 8800 series. They are a little expensive for a full cover block, The other option is an MCW60 + mounting conversion kit.
yes I agree but getting them is difficult. I am pretty set on a a full cover WB. I would like to know how the koolance full cover wb perform...
WonderingSoul said:
If you are looking for simplicity check out one of the standard kits from Swiftech.
I already have the Apogee GT wb and am decided on a 3 fan rad (koolance unit uses 3x120mm) with a cpu, 2 gpu's 2 mem sinks and a possible nb block in the loop. I also have 5 120mm fluid bearing fans in my case currently so I could utilize these in a setup.
I had considered getting a rad to mount under this CM stacker case (the bottom is cut out with a grill over it) since it would fit between the case and floor with the wheels on the case, and mounting 2-3 fans on the inside of the case floor, but that would push or pull warm air into/out of the case, so the rear mounting design of the koolance kit looked good and appealing...

I wondered if there was a way to get a shroud for a 3 fan rad and design an appealing rear mount system.

But the other thing that I really liked was the system protection circuitry. Is there other units that can do this and look nice?
I see so many LC setups that are effective but look like backyard garage slapped together contraptions.

Last edited:
If you add ram cooling to the loop, the only thing you achieve is reduce flow in loop.

If you go with Koolance stuff remember to add some additive because most of the time koolance stuff has aluminum part in it.

Back