• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much will my OC be held back with 2 crappy 512 sticks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raizy

One is a Samsung and one is (I think it's a no-name brand) LOL... CPU-Z or Aida32 won't list a brand name for it. Both are PC3200...

From a probability standpoint I would say it is Highly probable it will hurt your OC.

it would help to let everyone else know what the rest of the system is. as it stands, you gave basically no information.

Okay don't make fun of the ghetto rig though -- But I ordered a cheap MOBO here: http://www.ocworkbench.com/2004/chaintech/vnf3-250/vnf3-250-g1.htm That will allow me to overclock a Sempron 2800 (Alpine 64 HSF).

Hard drive: SATA Seagate barracuda 320 GB
Vid Card: GeForce 7600 GS

Heh... I'm just messing around with old hardware, first time overclocking to so it's a learning experience. :)

I am going to see if I can trade in my old MSI board and the two ram for a 1GB stick, and just pay the difference (hopefully the store will let me do that).

In all likely hood, yes that will hurt your overclock... Two mis-matched sticks are usually trouble when you try to start adjusting their speed... And btw, welcome to OCF :D

Okay, umm how much will it hurt my OC anyways ? I want to get my sempron to at least 2.4 Ghz (+800Mhz OC) Hmmm... 50% overclock, should be attainable with water cooling ?

Not sure why everyone says it will hurt your OC. Just run a ram divider and keep the ram at 200mhz. Then you can bump up the FSB all you need. Only thing you'll be missing out on is faster ram, which doesn't have a huge effect on system performance anyway. (Compared to other things)

The Sempron's are suppose to be pretty good clockers. Not sure if you can hit 50% though, that'd be a pretty good clock. Someone that has worked with one can probably tell you better.

Back