• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Matching DDR2 memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tjoker

Registered
I am a little confused about DDR2 PC26400 memory. I was hoping to hear some opinions on "matching" memory modules. I have 4 slots on my mainboard. I am currently only using 2 of them with OCZ pc6400 2gb (2x 1gb). I want to buy 2 more sticks , but am confused about what to buy. Should I get 2 more 1gb sticks or 2-512mb sticks.Would I be better off with four sticks that are the same??? Or 2- 1gb and 2- 512mb??? I will be buying the same brand and style.

I would try to get the same sticks... in the same size (2Gb total memory is good enough for most of us).

However with 4 sticks in your system you may find it more difficult to lower the times and OC the RAM.

1T timings are possible with only two sticks, but as I understand it AMD systems force 2T when using 4 sticks. The performance difference is slight though.

Back