• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan advice for WC beginner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fudgonaut

Registered
Hey all

I am venturing into my first WC system, I find that the section of my case where I want to install the radiator is a bit to small to fit a dual 120mm setup. I have decided to opt for a heater core (http://wbta.us/heatercore_database/stant/full/9007.gif) since the size is perfect. I have a pretty good idea of the customization needed (adapting the 5/8" feeds, creating a shroud, mounting it to the case, etc). But what kind of fan configuration should I use? A pair of 80mm? A strong 120mm? For a core of this size, do I need high air flow or are its dimensions large enough that I can use fan(s) operating at quieter RPMs?

Personaly i would use 2 120mm fans in a push pull set up.

as for how much airfow you need tell us about your system. what kind of cpu and how meny waterblocks are going to be in it.

Thanks for the responses. My system will be a work in progress, and I’m always appreciative of tips from folks with hands-on experience. I'm starting with a Silverstone JT06 full tower case. I chose this case for its size, 5 external drive bays, and its right-side access panel. It’s got a solid feel I really like. My plan was to water cool something like an e6400 or e6600 (for overclocking and quietness), and probably the GPU too.

Not sure what I want for the GPU yet, probably a mid-range DX10-ready card (again, recommendations are welcome). The Northbridge and RAM will be air cooled, as I don't plan on any extreme overclocking, just something respectable that extends the longevity of the system. My rickety old P4 2.8 served me well for the past 5 years, and I would also like my next system to last a long time before I succumb to 'upgrade envy' again.

My budget for the new system will probably be in the $1500-1750 range when all is said and done. A push/pull configuration will probably require me to do some case cutting, which I am okay with. My plan is to do 1/2" tubing, and a pair of small pumps (something like these: http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=188). I figure two pumps will provide redundancy in case one fails, and keep a consistent coolant flow across the system. I’m going to avoid plastic and go for metal fittings for durability. The water block will be one I have designed. It requires a little finesse so I’ll probably need the local metal shop drill it out.

That’s the overall plan. I have a bunch of other details to work out. Most of it’s in my head, I just need to get it on paper. I plan on taking my sweet time (measure four times, cut once), I would not be surprised if it’s 9-12 months before it approaches completion. I will try to do pictures and a worklog once my plan of attack is finalized.

Cheers,
~Fudge

(BTW, Thanks for the recommendation inkfx, that fan's just what I'm looking for)

Since you havn't purchased anything yet I would hold off till the price drops on the 22nd. The E6600 will be down to $224 which is what the E6400 is now. As for the GPU, an 8800GTS 320mb would probably be great for you. If you don't want to spend that I hear an 8600 is to be released this month as well. Then there are the Maze 5, MCW60 and Silverprop HL for GPU cooling. Oh and don't forget to get RAM sinks for the video card.

Don't get that pump you linked (your link isn't working for some reason, but I found it anyway). You are better off getting one good pump, not two so-so pumps. Get an MCP355/DDC-2 plus as it is small, pretty quiet, and will pump enough water through whatever you throw at it. The MCP655/D5 is also a good pump, but it is larger and a little louder.

As for fans, don't go with the Deltas. I have used those fans and they have a lot of mechanical clicking when undervolted. If you are using a heatercore and hence need the airflow, go with some medium speed panaflos. A 2 1/2" thick heatercore really could benefit from two 120mm fans in push/pull, unless you use one 120mm fan that has a higher cfm output (and hence louder). You could probably even use two yate loon medium speed fans at 12v in push/pull and still do fine. Yate loons are hard to beat.

There are a number of people around here that use the TJ106. Do some searching around here and on XS to see pics of how others have done it. Radiators these days are so much less of a pain to deal with than heatercores, and rads like the Swiftech MCR rads and especially the Thermochills will outperform heatercores with a lot less airflow and hence a lot less noise. Plus you don't have to try to fit a shroud, and can often be set up a lot more compactly. I've used a heatercore before and although they can be great for cooling on the cheap, for another $20-25 you can be using a dual or triple Swiftech rad that is just easier to work with.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pump recommendation - the MCP355 looks good. As far as rad/heater core, I can't find a 2x120 rad that will fit under the TJ06 drive bays (about 250mm clearance). I could lose one of the 3 1/2" bays, but I am fairly committed to keeping them. I'm also trying to keep the whole system contained within the case. Can I get away with a 2x80 rad?

I have deltas on a fan controller max speed is 2400... I turn them down to 1800 and I dont have clicking noize. I think its nice to have that extra CFM when you really need it on some hot days etc...

I've thought about it and decided I'll ditch one of the 3 1/2" bays to fit a 2x120 radiator. With the right planning and (careful) cutting, I can sneak a pair of 120mmx25mm fans in front of the rad, then I figure since I have a little more room on the other side, I'll slap a pair of 120mmx38mm on the back. Attached is the basic setup I was thinking. Does it seem reasonable?

Doubt I can afford it, but if I wanted to go crazy and do dual GPU's, would it make sense to put a 2nd rad/fan in the space below the PSU? So it would go something like:

Large Rad--> Pump--> CPU--> Small Rad==> GPUs==> (Another Pump?)--> Res

Attachments

• tj06schematic.jpg
    tj06schematic.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 94
You should think about dropping the micro res and "trade" it in for a t-line, it will give you a much cleaner line with a slightly improved flow rate.

inkfx said:
Yeah I don't have any clicking noise either.

It all depends how neurotic you are about noise in your computer. I have used the Deltas mentioned and compared them alongside yate loons. When undervolted, the Deltas have a distinct ticking noise that the Yates do not make. If you don't have an issue with cranking up the fans, then you probably aren't as noise neurotic as I am. There are people on here that will swear up and down that an MCP655 is silent.

A 2x80mm isn't going to cut it.

The sketch you have looks good and the routing is straighforward and simple. A t-line is not going to give you a better flow rate over a res. It is a matter of personal preference. I would stick with the microres anyday.

Hm, you seem to be right. I just turned down my Delta and put my ear next to it and noticed the noise you seem to be talking about. I guess with all the other stuff going on here in my room I don't notice a thing. So if you are a sound freak then yeah, I would go with something else.

voigts said:
There are people on here that will swear up and down that an MCP655 is silent.

Lol, and I'm one of them. I've never heard the pump EVER except when I am filling for the first time, otherwise, I never hear it...and it is set on 5...lol

thideras said:
Lol, and I'm one of them. I've never heard the pump EVER except when I am filling for the first time, otherwise, I never hear it...and it is set on 5...lol

And I had a D5 and couldn't stand the noise and changed to a MCP355/DDC-2 18w which is pretty quiet, and about a month ago switched to a DDC just to lose a little bit more noise. The DDC works fine as I have a very non-restrictive loop. And my seagates fortunately are really quite quiet. And I am even happier in that I now have 4gb of RAM and so the HDs don't spin up very much. I just built a new comp for my daughter and the WD in it is loud as a freight train to me. My computer is no more than 1' away from me in a wooden desk and I can just barely hear it. The refrigerator two rooms over almost completely drowns it out, and my daughter humming in the next room drowns it out. And I adore the fact that I have it so quiet.

Unless you just want the extra cfms, yate loons are very quiet and are hard to beat for the price. The Scythe Sflex fans are very quiet also, but they cost 4 times as much.

voigts said:
And I had a D5 and couldn't stand the noise and changed to a MCP355/DDC-2 18w which is pretty quiet, and about a month ago switched to a DDC just to lose a little bit more noise. The DDC works fine as I have a very non-restrictive loop. And my seagates fortunately are really quite quiet. And I am even happier in that I now have 4gb of RAM and so the HDs don't spin up very much. I just built a new comp for my daughter and the WD in it is loud as a freight train to me. My computer is no more than 1' away from me in a wooden desk and I can just barely hear it. The refrigerator two rooms over almost completely drowns it out, and my daughter humming in the next room drowns it out. And I adore the fact that I have it so quiet.

Unless you just want the extra cfms, yate loons are very quiet and are hard to beat for the price. The Scythe Sflex fans are very quiet also, but they cost 4 times as much.

I'm looking at replacing every fan in my entire system with YL for silence. It is really weird to have the computer running for weeks straight and then shut it off. Your sitting there going "wow...so that is what silence sounds like".

Thank you all for the input!

I've ordered some Polarflo's, the Swiftech micro res, and the MCP655. The MCP655 is probably more than I'll need, but I'd rather have the extra oomph just in case. Now I need a good 2x120 rad. I'm not worried about depth (I can probably go up to 2-2 1/2"), but if I'm going to mount it upright in the front of the case (and still save one of the 3 1/2" bays), it needs to be no more than about 275mm. Recommendations?

Back