• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hi all, just another ram question here =)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jasonaerts

Ok i was wondering if i can reduce stuttering in games like Oblivion by upgrading my Ram. I currently have 2 gigs thats spread between 2 different pairs of 512 duel channel DDR generic ram running on an:
A8n SLi 32 Deluxe
AMD x2 4400+
BFG 7950gt
Audigy 2Zs
250g SATA2

with timings of 3/4/4/8 at 200mhz.

I have been thinking of picking up 2 Pairs of These
and am wondering if it would make any really noticeable difference? I have about 300 bucks to do a mild upgrade with and cant decide if Another BFG 7950gt to run in SLI would be best for performance gain or the new Ram.

Also if that ram im looking at is crap or theres a better value out there please share :)

Thanks in advance.

You are definitely better off going with two 1gb dimms over four 512mb.

I dont know too much about that particular Mushkin mem, but I know they make good stuff. My preference is OCZ or G.Skill memory.

so you'd be going from 2gb to 2gb?

unless it would allow you to OC your cpu a ton more, i would think a second video card would help more (and i'm not a huge fan of SLI/Crossfire).

Yes i would be going from 2gb to 2gb but it would also be from Generic ram to a nice match set. I was just thinking Ram as its the only Generic part on my Rig, so i was thinking perhaps that would be best for my upgrade. Also i am not using an ATI Card so i wouldnt be going crossfire, id be going SLI with 2x BFG 7950gt.

So im guessing theres no really definitive answer to this question then?

THanks again everyone.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
so you'd be going from 2gb to 2gb?

unless it would allow you to OC your cpu a ton more, i would think a second video card would help more (and i'm not a huge fan of SLI/Crossfire).

He is currently using 4x512mb modules from different manufacturers

Switching to 2x1gb matched pair should give him a performance increase and allow better OC's if he goes that route.

The answer is get the Mushkin 2gb Kit or look for another 2gb kit.. Just get rid of the 4x 512 modules... :)

Going from 2GB to 2GB you probably wont see any difference in your games. Now when it comes to benchmarking that Mushkin set would most likely perform better. As hbb said, the sticks should also allow you to OC your CPU better. So the question really is would you benefit more from a faster CPU or an extra card? If you are gaming in high resolutions, like 1600 x 1200, then go with the other card. If you are going to be at like 1024 or 1280 then I'd pick up the memory.

inkfx said:
Going from 2GB to 2GB you probably wont see any difference in your games. Now when it comes to benchmarking that Mushkin set would most likely perform better. As hbb said, the sticks should also allow you to OC your CPU better. So the question really is would you benefit more from a faster CPU or an extra card? If you are gaming in high resolutions, like 1600 x 1200, then go with the other card. If you are going to be at like 1024 or 1280 then I'd pick up the memory.

Well i am mainly trying to get rid of the stuttering that i experience in Oblivion, i got acceptable frames around 25-30 at 1280-1024 but theres allot of little stutters while traveling outside. So i guess im just trying to figure out what will reduce this stuttering the most, New Ram OR another GPU?

thanks again :)

I'm not very familiar with the game so I can't say for sure. If it's a more CPU intensive game I would get the memory and OC your 4400+. If it's GPU I really would save for an 8800GTS.

Ok thanks for the info all, i think ill go with the Ram for now as i really want to have a nice pair and its the only think im not to sure about in my system. From there i think ill start saving for an 8800 or whatever comes after that.

Thanks all very much :beer:
take care

J>A

One question, are you able to run dual channel right now? If so, the memory might not make much difference, BUT, if you're in single channel, go for the memory!

Back