• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My latest WC Build thread!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Excelsior

KITTENS!!! KITTENS!!! KITTENS!!! KITTENS!!!
Just got the first part of my new WC gear:

an iwaki MD-20RZG-2

WHOMEVER said that it's possible to stretch 1/2 id tubing onto the ports was smoking pot. I used boilingw ater with no lcuk. Keep in mind I've done this on other pumps, it just wouldn't work for this one. So I did something a bit silly: I got a 1/2 brass female barb then a nylon 3/4 to 1/2 barb. I used two tiny sleeves of vinyl hardware-store tubing to connect the adapters up. Anyway, check it out:

iwaki.jpg

I'll hopefully be cooling my 2x Opteron 252s with this rig using Swiftech Apogee GTs.

Items:

Rad: Swiftech MCR-320 triple rad
Apogee GTs
MCRES-Micro reservoir
1/2 ID Tygon silver antimicrobial tubing
Iwaki MD-20-RZG pump (scored for $20)

I'll update this as the items come in and as I start building things. Let me know what you think, guys.

update: weeeeeeeeeee. Images.

side.jpg

rad.jpg

pump.jpg

Sorry I couldn't get any "during building" pictures. WAs too busy this weekend :p Anyway, the flow is pretty monsterous even through all this junk. Comments appreciated. Sorry about the crappy pics, I'm a bit exhausted :p

Last edited:
Oh, by the way, Anyone else use an iwaki md-20rzg-2 perchance?

The entire system is pretty loud due to the triple fans on the rad and the pump but I don't really care as the rest of my systems are loud anyway :p

Anyway, the pump seems to run scorchingly hot. It was at 120F outside casing when I checked it with my thermocouple yesterday. Anyone know if the iwakis just run hot or if it's of concern? I *am* running it straight off the mains (120v) so it's being overvolted by 20v and probably running a bit hotter/louder than it may otherwise. I don't really want to use a power resistor to bring the voltage down as that'll just cost money via my electricity bill and add more heat to my apartment, heh.

Anyway, system temps semi-idle are decent. 37C on cpu1, 36C on cpu2.

-Ex

um... wow... you have a really big case

and i like the setup however it looks like you have 2 diff kinds of tubing are the grey/silver tubing anti microbial and the clear tubing regular or are they uv reactant

EmAn said:
um... wow... you have a really big case

and i like the setup however it looks like you have 2 diff kinds of tubing are the grey/silver tubing anti microbial and the clear tubing regular or are they uv reactant

Yeah, actually I have three types. I didn't have enough antimicrobial so I used some masterkeeler and a bit of vinyl hardware store tubing.

yea props on the duct tape just as long as you dont use it to fix the externals on your car :( and i always follow the rules my dad tought me

measure twice cut once lol

also just noticed this how restrictive do you think that 90 degree bend is?

Deathknight said:
Are your blinds duct taped to your wall? That is my kind of ghetto handy work around the house :)

I blame my kitten >_>

He decides to invade my windowsill and doesn't let anything stand in his path. That brought down and broke the blinds. The replacement I got (I've already replacted two...) was too big so I just taped it on there and had a bit overlapping.

EmAn said:
yea props on the duct tape just as long as you dont use it to fix the externals on your car :( and i always follow the rules my dad tought me

measure twice cut once lol

also just noticed this how restrictive do you think that 90 degree bend is?

Not too restrictive tbh. It's at the pump inlet and gravity feeds from the res down to it, so I have that going for me. My pump is also super powerful so I've still got really good flow anyway.

Excelsior said:
Not too restrictive tbh. It's at the pump inlet and gravity feeds from the res down to it, so I have that going for me. My pump is also super powerful so I've still got really good flow anyway.

I dont think that "gravity" means anything in closed loop system.

To be honest there are few things you should have done to improve both performance and quiteness.

Anyway if it works for you, thats all that matters :bday:

MameXP said:
I dont think that "gravity" means anything in closed loop system.

To be honest there are few things you should have done to improve both performance and quiteness.

Anyway if it works for you, thats all that matters :bday:

...And those would be?

I never said gravity had an appreciable effect, just saying that as water is flowing towards the pump the 90 is angled in such a way that gravity does pull towards the input.

Excelsior said:
...And those would be?

I never said gravity had an appreciable effect, just saying that as water is flowing towards the pump the 90 is angled in such a way that gravity does pull towards the input.

I mean THERE IS NO GRAVITY IN THERE. :)

The gravity effect that you said would only exist if there is air in the loop.

Think of it as this way: you have 0 of a water loop. Both the left and right side would push again each other. Thus the water wont move.

In your loop it would be the same.

That pump is scary. Even with two GT's it has got to be massive overkill, and hanging off the side like that, gives me the heebie jeebies. At any rate I can esteem the work involved, and it is a nice job, just not to my brushed aluminum dremeled scalpel-work preference, additionally anything over 30db makes me crazy :p. Bet it'll take loop expansion without even batting an eye though. I'm astounded that you didn't make a 3rd hop going down the opterons and mcw60 that gpu, the pump and rad wouldn't even notice.

Well engineered chaos.

jackrungh said:
That pump is scary. Even with two GT's it has got to be massive overkill, and hanging off the side like that, gives me the heebie jeebies. At any rate I can esteem the work involved, and it is a nice job, just not to my brushed aluminum dremeled scalpel-work preference, additionally anything over 30db makes me crazy :p. Bet it'll take loop expansion without even batting an eye though. I'm astounded that you didn't make a 3rd hop going down the opterons and mcw60 that gpu, the pump and rad wouldn't even notice.

Well engineered chaos.

I'm not made of money, want to buy me an 8800 block? :p Plus I prefer to keep my videocards stock. Long story as to why, but lets just say it's in my best interests >_>

hey may i know what board is that? If you can do me a huge favor, do you think if it would fit 2 coolers that takes 120mm fans? like the Tt Typhoon?

I'm searching for the right board for my workstation.

Are you overclocking the CPUs at all?

MameXP said:
hey may i know what board is that? If you can do me a huge favor, do you think if it would fit 2 coolers that takes 120mm fans? like the Tt Typhoon?

I'm searching for the right board for my workstation.

Are you overclocking the CPUs at all?

ASUS K8N-DL. It's an excellent board with things a bit unlocked for OCing. I think the older bios might have had more things unlocked, not 100% sure. As to 120mm fan coolers, I had two Scythe Ninjas in the case and it was a *****. Two scythe ninjas with side mounted 120mm fans, they rubbed a bit on eachother and I had to make their fins interweave due to the 1-2mm overlap, but they worked. Part of the reason I went to wcing for this rig is because I could NOT stand having to remove my damn ninjas if I wanted to change my ram or something of the like. I like the fact that the wcing has freed up a lot of room and made things neater.

It's a solid board with PCI express x16. Another thing I like is the mag-lev fan on the NB. Let me knwo if you have any other questions about the board.

Back