• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Parallel Radiators?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KaosInc.

Registered
Hi everyone,

After some thought, I have finally decided to water cool my computer. However, before I rush into this I have some questions which need to be answered.

Firstly, the case I currently own, the Antec P180, is frankly quite a pain to water cool or so it seems from what I have read. Now, I would like to know if it is possible to mount to radiators in the same water cooling loop. I know it can be done if both rads are connected to the loop in parallel, but can it be done if I have a single 120mm rad mounted on the back like this and a dual 120mm rad on the top as done by this fellow?

Secondly, if what stated above is possible, will one pump be enough? I will be cooling my CPU, NB, SB, MOSFET and my newly acquired 8800 GTS 640mb.

Cheers. :p

Last edited:
Thats a lot 2 rads and 5 blocks... I know D5 is good for 2 rads and 2 blocks.

I would lean towards getting 2 pumps 2 loops...

Ya that does seem like quite a bit to be cooling there. As mycobacteria suggested I would go for 2 loops. Perhaps your CPU and GPU on one and then all the chipset blocks on the other.

Yes you can run radiators in series. It is a lot to run in one loop, but if you select low resistance blocks and keep the route clean, I think a DDC-2 with a modified or aftermarket top might be enough pump.

If you decide to put the chipsets and mosfet on their own loop, you could use a single pump and add a valve to the second loop to adjust the flow so that it doesn't starve the primary loop.

If you haven't considered passive air coolers for the chipsets and mosfets, you should give it some thought before watercooling all that stuff. Those components don't make that much heat, and hence large heatpipe coolers are usually more than enough.

My D5 seems to be doing a good job for my loop so far, with a 120.2, and blocks for CPU, GPU, NB, SB and 2x mosfets, 6 blocks all together.

Are you really having problems with your StackCool and MOSFETS? I'm surprised. Many people have simply added the supplied StackCool fan for use with CPU water blocks and have had no problems. I run my Opty 180 at 2.8 GHz @ 1.55v and don't have any issue with the chipsets or MOSFETS. A simple cover on the rear fan does the job for me:

http://home.kc.rr.com/rm23u2nd76g12/NB_With.JPG

The MOSFET probe reads ~25°C and the NB probe ~32°C (both probes are on their given heatsinks). ASUS Probe II shows MB temps ~40°C. What kind of MB temps are you getting???

Kato said:
My D5 seems to be doing a good job for my loop so far, with a 120.2, and blocks for CPU, GPU, NB, SB and 2x mosfets, 6 blocks all together.
Agreed! A single MCP655 can handle a LOT of stuff ... :beer:

water cooling chipsets and mosfets has long been a discussion and there is no set answer. I would suggest looking into after market aircooling for them since it would be cheaper and easier to implement. Also you have to look into how you would run the tubing. With one loop those bends would be really tight which is more challenging to install and robs you of some performance. It is doable but there might be another solution that works just as well for less money/hassle. Also can you fit a 3x120mm rad into your case or externally instead of 1x120 and 2x120?

SewerBeing said:
water cooling chipsets and mosfets has long been a discussion and there is no set answer

i think you'll find its becoming less of a question, especially w/ the 680i boards ... alot of people are finding the need to commit to more advanced cooling solutions when oc'ing these boards especially on the SB and somewhat on the NB ... mosfets just kinda fall in line after that

running bixII, storm, mcw60 and mcw30 off a mcp655 variable speed set at 2 ... maintaining 38c idle 44c load ... i feel pretty confident that i could easily add to the loop and maintain those temps by simply increasing the speed of the pump

Last edited:
I made I guess you would call it a housing instead of a cover for p180 but holds Black Ice GTS 320 and 3 25mm fans perfectly. Can't make up my mind if I like the look might just paint it black. I also have a Black Ice GTS 240 the blocks I have are Apogee, MCW60 and MCW30 the pump I have is MCP655. I think I might have to get a second pump.

Attachments

• 2007_0408320radcover0005.JPG
    2007_0408320radcover0005.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 299
res0r9lm said:
I made I guess you would call it a housing instead of a cover for p180 but holds Black Ice GTS 320 and 3 25mm fans perfectly. Can't make up my mind if I like the look might just paint it black. I also have a Black Ice GTS 240 the blocks I have are Apogee, MCW60 and MCW30 the pump I have is MCP655. I think I might have to get a second pump.
You won't need a second pump (unless you want redundancy) - the MCP655 will push through those blocks with ease ...

With one MCP655 on setting P4 (out of 5) I can run my loop (2x double rads, a Storm, an MCW60, my other MCP655 turned off, and ~15' of 1/2" tubing) while supporting an Opty 180, 2.8 GHz @ 1.55 vCore. I keep the extra pump running for redundancy and can lower the settings for both pumps (~P3.2), which also reduces the noise to essentially zero ...

I toyed with the idea of 2 rads, but by the time you look at it, if you're going to that extreme, might as well just add a 2nd pump, as the flow rate would be better, giving better temps in theory

As Sewer said, WCing the NB and mosfets is not required. A Thermalright HR-05 SLI is great, and runs passively. As for the PWMICs, put an 80mm fan on top of them and it is solved. I have an Antec Spot Cool fan on mine and the PWMICs never get above 45c and same with my NB. HR-05 SLI passively does not get above 45c.

toddm27 said:
I toyed with the idea of 2 rads, but by the time you look at it, if you're going to that extreme, might as well just add a 2nd pump, as the flow rate would be better, giving better temps in theory
Believe me, that's only "in theory". Running the MCP655s at P5 (instead of P3.2) doesn't really get me that much more - maybe an extra 3°C (via CoreTemp) on a good day. I still can't clock it any higher ...

greyharte said:
i think you'll find its becoming less of a question, especially w/ the 680i boards ... alot of people are finding the need to commit to more advanced cooling solutions when oc'ing these boards especially on the SB and somewhat on the NB ... mosfets just kinda fall in line after that

running bixII, storm, mcw60 and mcw30 off a mcp655 variable speed set at 2 ... maintaining 38c idle 44c load ... i feel pretty confident that i could easily add to the loop and maintain those temps by simply increasing the speed of the pump

His motherboard is an Asus A8N32-Sli which comes with a passive heatsink with an optional fan. So I think he should honestly consider aircooling them before jumping straight onto watercooling. There are a ton of aftermarket solutions available and sometimes just remounting the stock cooler with a lap job and AS5/AS Ceramique will do wonders.

Res0r9lm, I like the look of the wood. If it were me I'd leave it alone. Is that a grating for an HVAC duct?

no, It's an AC Ryan radgrillz the only place I could find them is a http://www.performance-pcs.com I have both 240 and 320 versions they are predrilled to fit Black Ice or Swiftech rads. The 320 is a little off on last fan's holes so I had to enlarge holes but the 240 lines up perfectly

performance-pcs isn't as cheap as others stores but for me they are close enough it only take 2 days until it's at my house

toddm27 said:

One pump is all you need. Once you start getting above the 1gpm (as Graystar so avidly points out :)), you really do see decreasing benefits. Hence most people see little difference for instance between a 2 and a 5 setting on a D5. This is why, having changed to a Fuzion, I also changed back to a MCP350 to lower noise levels a bit as the Fuzion is so non-restrictive, and the higher flow from my previous MCP355 just wasn't needed to make enough of a difference to shake a stick at.

Cooling is very dependent on surface area (yes, among other things), but using one rad is a lot easier than two, and avoids the added tubing associated with running 2 rads. I would rather find a way to mount and plumb a 120.3 than two rads any day.

Back