• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Confused on what memory to purchase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RussZTT

Registered
Whats up fellas. Purchasing a ASUS P5B Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard. I am reading up on what memory to get. I am confused on the voltage, timing, latency etc. I'm not sure what all that is meaning so I am hoping to get some help on what is a good one to get?

Thanks!!

Basically you'll want to get DDR2, then decide on speed and latency. Are you going to overclock? Then you'll want to get faster ram. Only thing you need to know about latency is lower is better. (ie- timing of 3-4-4-8 is better than 4-6-6-8) Voltage should all be standard for DDR2, so you shouldn't have to worry about it. What cpu are you going to be using?

Thank you for the explanation. Well I have my eye on the e6400 but I hear that the price of the e6600 will be droping soon so I might wait but im not sure.

Now im worried that my ATX 500w PS wont be enough that came with my case....

what does the label on the psu say? on the 22nd of this month intel is cutting cpu prices so the E6600 will be around $225.

Since the unit came with your case I'm going to guess it's probably not one of the recommended brands. You may want to consider upgrading that as well. Something like a Zippy, Silverstone, or Corsair. The E6600 should be down to the price of the E6400 on the 22nd, which to me is worth waiting for. Plus the E6600 has a 9x multi so you wont be needing the best of the best memory to OC it. Any DDR2-800 memory would let you get up in the 3.6Ghz range. How much do you want to spend on the memory and I'll try and give you some options.

Well im not much of an OCer. Never done but im sure if I keep reading this site I might play around :) I am thinking around $100 maybe little more but would like to stay around there.

This is the case that I got with the PS already in it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144089

Thank you for all your help! I might wait till the price drops on that e6600

Wouldn't the DDR2 800 be better sticks? Never heard of that brand. I wouldn't mind getting the Corsair or OCZ.

hmmm. Just read this on the mobo specs..

"Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC approved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 is supported on Intel Desktop Boards based on Intel 965 Express Chipsets"

supertalent is known for some of there higher end sticks that carry micron D9 ic's. the one he linked down have those ic's but you are now comparing 1gig of ram for 2gigs for the same price. with the right ratio to ram at 333 will keep the ram in spec. forget that statment, that is more ment for INTEL boards not one from asus and the likes that have ocing options. since they have raised the standard/default volts that gets supplied to the ram. my board with early bios would only use 1.8v so i had to use older ram rated for 1.8v. after upping the vdimm to 2.1v for my 6400-c4's they worked great.

RussZTT said:
So your saying the one he linked you also recommend?
yes for that its 2gigs for your $100 limit. no cause for not much more you can get g.skill 2gig ddr2-800 5-5-5-15 1.8v for $129.

Evilsizer said:
yes for that its 2gigs for your $100 limit. no cause for not much more you can get g.skill 2gig ddr2-800 5-5-5-15 1.8v for $129.
Heck its only $30 more, I can get that!

RussZTT said:
Awesome! I will go ahead and get it. Can you mix and match ram? If I wanted to get more in the future should I get this kind again?

Thanks again!
as long as speed/timings/voltage match i dont see why you couldnt use another brand of memory

Back