• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Clock Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

heliu5

Registered
Hi,

I have PQI 1GB DDR2-667 and atm is running at 334MHz. I want to get some more from it and that's why I wait for your advice setting up my timings.

Here are my current timings:
CAS: 5
RAS to CAS: 5
RAS Precharge:5
Tras: 15
Trc: 21

FSB: DRAM - 3:5

If you need more info just let me know here and I'll try to post it asap.

heliu5 said:
Hi,

I have PQI 1GB DDR2-667 and atm is running at 334MHz. I want to get some more from it and that's why I wait for your advice setting up my timings.

Here are my current timings:
CAS: 5
RAS to CAS: 5
RAS Precharge:5
Tras: 15
Trc: 21

FSB: DRAM - 3:5

If you need more info just let me know here and I'll try to post it asap.

Well, do you have any goals?

First thing you should know, if you lower the latencies, you have to raise the speed to get the same performance. So if you are just trying to raise the speed of your RAM, I'd run them as close to their rated speed as possible.

So, you're trying to say that the latencies, the timings, are not connected with the RAM's clock or speed?

Well looser timings should give you some more mhz out of the memory. And of course with tighter timings you may not hit the higher clocks.

heliu5 said:
So, you're trying to say that the latencies, the timings, are not connected with the RAM's clock or speed?

Well, yes they are connected.

The more relaxed latencies you run (higher numbers), the faster you can run it. But since you increase the latency, you decrease the overall "speed" (think gb/s). While the clock speed is higher, and the latencies are also higher, you won't gain anything. The only reason to raise latencies is if your RAM is holding you back. At that point, raising the latencies will allow you to run the RAM at a faster clock speed, which would help your overclock.

Back