• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cheap mobo blues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyberey66

sigh... Just got an early christmas present, 512megs stick of samsung sdram. My damn mobo only supports 256megs max. Well I am going to get a new mobo but I want to be sure that it'll sopport it. The ram is 32X72 high density, idk much about this, is that the norm for ram of this size. Do most newer mobos support this?

If it is standard pc100 or 133 sdram, (168 pin) it'll work in mobo's that support sdram. The only other type generally used today is DDR (double data rate) that will be called pc 1600 or higher.

Last edited:
I'm familiar with ram, I just don't know about compatibilty with high density and low density, and about 32X72. I was hoping that my mobo would possible see this ram as 256 or something.

From the net...

"What is High Density vs. Low Density?

The density of a module refers to the amount and arrangement of how the small black memory chips store the information. For example a 256MB low-density module is made with “16x8” chips meaning each of the 16 DRAM chips on the module reads as 16 rows of 8 bits of memory. A 256MB high-density module is made using “32x4” chips meaning each (of the 16 DRAM chips on the module) chip reads 32 rows of 4 bits. Some systems have a density limit where they are only programmed to access up to a maximum 16 memory rows per chip. These "low density only" systems will typically accept maximum memory limit of 512MB, 768MB, or 1024MB of total system memory. Systems that take high density typically can accept up to a maximum of 1.5GB or 2GB of total system memory. "

There's one thing that threw me off, my ram has 18 chips, 9 on each side instead of 8. The 9th one is for ecc im guessing?

Last edited:
Back