• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quickie: Good routing for my WC Setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Excelsior

KITTENS!!! KITTENS!!! KITTENS!!! KITTENS!!!
setup.png

The burgundy thing is the swittech mcres 320. The two blocks are Apogee GTs for the dual CPUs. The radiator at the top is the swiftech mcr-320. Pump is an externally mounted Iwaki MD-20RZG-2.

Think it's a good routing scheme for my tubes or should I change something up? Input would be appreciated.

-Ex

I would suggest that you swap the input and output on the pump. You want to cool the water from the blocks over sending cooler water to the blocks. This way the water temperature in the over all system will be lower. Atleast thats the theory.

Temo Vryce said:
I would suggest that you swap the input and output on the pump. You want to cool the water from the blocks over sending cooler water to the blocks. This way the water temperature in the over all system will be lower. Atleast thats the theory.

Thats actually a misconception, the effect will be so minuscule as to be irrelevant. The most important thing is that you work out an order that flows well and fits your case environment, the loop water temp will be relatively the same at all points in the loop.

I'd say in this case you make sure that the leads to the external pump are as short as possible, and that there aren't any insane or convoluted pathways there. What you have illustrated looks good, watch that 90 degree bend leading into the res though.

jackrungh said:
Thats actually a misconception, the effect will be so minuscule as to be irrelevant. The most important thing is that you work out an order that flows well and fits your case environment, the loop water temp will be relatively the same at all points in the loop.

I'd say in this case you make sure that the leads to the external pump are as short as possible, and that there aren't any insane or convoluted pathways there. What you have illustrated looks good, watch that 90 degree bend leading into the res though.

Thanks. I only have a few 90's, but unfortunately they have to stay. The good thing is that the Iwaki MD-20RZG-2 is a VERY powerful pump so I hope it'll be able to get through my fairly restrictive setup.

My only comment is that it may be tricky to fill the system, as the res is lower than both the pump and the rad.

Deathknight said:
My only comment is that it may be tricky to fill the system, as the res is lower than both the pump and the rad.

True, I'm going to try to sink the pump down a tiny bit more and move the res up just so that I can get water into the inlet hole of the pump. The problem is the Tygon antimicrobial tubing is VERY expensive so I only bough five feet, and I bought 2 feet of masterkeeler (which, by the way, is actually AWESOME tubing as I just found out) so I'm alraedy damn scarce on tubing considering how huge my case is.

As long as your res gravity feeds your pump inlet you should be fine.

If you have to use 90s, use copper long elbows (5520K603 at mcmaster) as they are a LOT less restrictive than traditional short 90s. I solder a short piece of 1/2" copper in each end of the elbow.

I wouldn't call a dual CPU block restrictive unless you are using 2 storm blocks. That Iwaki is going to blow the socks off of that.

though I have heard it's pointless to feed the northbridge, but let's say in a set up for VGA/NB

would a route from pump ==> cpu then SPLIT to VGA/NB (parallel cool)==> radiator ==> pump be a good idea? I saw it suggested on another site, but wasn't a specalized OC / Cooling type of site.

Could just be me, but if I remember my water dynamics correctly, parallels slow down flow .. ?? So would it be a better idea to go CPU ==> VGA ==> NB ?

treatmentx said:
though I have heard it's pointless to feed the northbridge, but let's say in a set up for VGA/NB

would a route from pump ==> cpu then SPLIT to VGA/NB (parallel cool)==> radiator ==> pump be a good idea? I saw it suggested on another site, but wasn't a specalized OC / Cooling type of site.

Could just be me, but if I remember my water dynamics correctly, parallels slow down flow .. ?? So would it be a better idea to go CPU ==> VGA ==> NB ?

Series is preferable but i want to point out that the order DOES NOT matter. So choose WHICHEVER route use the least tubing, restrictives bends. THIS IS THE KEY PPL.

I've seen so many similar flaws from new beginners.

Back