• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will my old ram be able to keep up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

emceepecks

A good friend of mine is selling me an Asus A8N Deluxe SLI and an Athlon64 4000+ for 100 bucks. I have a gb of Corsair XMS Platinum PC3200 ram right now, will it be suitable to use in this setup?

Which revision of the PC3200 do you have?

Find them in this listing and you'll know which chips they used.

http://www.techpowerup.com/memdb/

Once you know which chips they use, then you'll have a better idea of what they can do. Even if they won't run ultra high clocks at 1:1, you can use the memory dividers and still get very decent results.

You will, of course, need a new PCIe video card.

My sticks use the Samsung TCCD chips according to the chart.

And yeah, I'll probably just buy something cheap from the nVidia 7 series for the moment.

If you have TCCD based modules then you should have absolutely no problems.

The only issue that you might encounter would be if you were gaming and then you might find that a 2 gig kit would be better for some games.

I have a potential buyer for the Corsair XMS Platinum sticks. I was originally going to use them when I get my A8N Deluxe/Athlon64 4000+.

Here is the decision I need to make:

1) Sell Corsair XMS and buy 1 GB of some non premium ram to use with new setup, giving me a little more money for a nicer video card (8800 GTS 320 MB???)

2) Keep Corsair XMS and buy cheaper video card (7900 GT???)

What do you guys think?

you may want to sell the ram and get a nicer GPU so that when you migrate to DDR2, and it will happen eventually, or DDR3 you will still have a nice GPU you can use instead of nice RAM that you cant use.

I splurged and ended up buying an XFX 8800 GTS.

Pretty much end of thread lol

Back