• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EK vrs DD gtx full cover blocks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the DangerDen block has been known to have quality issues; there was even a recent recal of some of the tops. The EK blocks are known for their high-quality and performance, I don't have any real data, but based on all the happy postings of owners here and other forums, I'd definitely say EK is the better choice :)

I buy Danger Dens because their full cover blocks have been great since the 6800 and everyone else just copied their design. :p

Springbok said:
I buy Danger Dens because their full cover blocks have been great since the 6800 and everyone else just copied their design. :p
Maybe but 8800 series from dd is crap compered to other blocks.

Danger who?

Why Danger Den? Why not Danger Cave, or Danger Mansion, or Danger Empire?

I'm using the EK FC8800 and love it. Had a DD on my 7950gx2 and that cooled it very nicely. But my 8800gtx idels @ 39c with anambient of 21. Never hits higher then 47c while gaming for hours. And it is only 116.00 shipped from EK direct.

jcw122 said:
Danger who?

Why Danger Den? Why not Danger Cave, or Danger Mansion, or Danger Empire?

They just never picked up on it.. Danger! Wil Robinson!

meionm said:
Maybe but 8800 series from dd is crap compered to other blocks.
Evidence?? I've got a DD88GTX block here that I don't have a card for yet, if you can convince me the EK is really better I would consider getting one instead.

Springbok said:
Evidence?? I've got a DD88GTX block here that I don't have a card for yet, if you can convince me the EK is really better I would consider getting one instead.
If you already got one then it is really too late and you over paid for it aswell. DD casts their block so they should cheaper than machine made. I had mcw60 and ek full cover block. Ek block performed within 1-3c worse than mcw60. Temps remained and never were close to 50c under load with 680/1000 oc on 8800gtx. Plus my loop was created for silence.

Here picture of dd 8800 and ek block

IMGP1964.JPG

Now look at EK block
8800GTS.jpg

Funny how you assume that I overpaid for it, I got it for $109 which isn't bad at all. I'm holding my DD block and that pic you posted isn't flattering at all, it doesn't look that brassy color. aside from that I don't think a few squiggles in the copper will really increase performance by more than 2-3 degrees. Why is the side piece on the EK block aluminum, anyways?

Aluminum retains less heat. Thats why they perfer to use it on Intercooler pipes for turbo charged aplications. My mosfets on the 8800gtx with ek's block are under 43c underload and the small mosfets are under 40c. The small mosfets are cooled under the aluminum piece with theramal pads.

Just looking at those picture's and the EK block just screams quality and performance. If it was me I'd go for the EK block.

Springbok said:
Funny how you assume that I overpaid for it, I got it for $109 which isn't bad at all. I'm holding my DD block and that pic you posted isn't flattering at all, it doesn't look that brassy color. aside from that I don't think a few squiggles in the copper will really increase performance by more than 2-3 degrees. Why is the side piece on the EK block aluminum, anyways?

If you look at the DD block, you'll notice the height of the fins is extremely short, as opposed to the EK, which is essentially as tall as the block (minus the thickness of the acrylic/delrin).

I got one of the EK blocks for my 8800GTS and the quality is absolutely amazing compared to any Swiftech or Danger Den block I have ever owned. I know I will always look at EK blocks first from now on.

The 2 nice things about the EK full coverage block over the DD is 1. the water flows through the copper in the EK with the plastic top sitting above it while in the DD the water flows mostly through the plastic and the copper block is very flat 2. DD recently had a recall on some of the 8800 blocks while EK has not (and screams quality).

DD is so... 2003. Blech :p

In my opinion spending more than double for a full cover block that gives maybe 3 degrees improvement is just nuts. Thats more than double the price of the mcw60 WITH ramsinks. The only aspect of the EK (the obvious choice for that price bracket btw) that is really tempting is the variable barb configuration, which would really be handy preventing awkward tubing pathways.

Back