• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thoughts on homeade waterblocks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fudgonaut

Registered
Quick backstory: I was looking online for waterblocks and I got inspired to make my own. I’m actually a little excited. I’m no engineer, but I think I may have touched on a good idea. It’s not a high-flow design, but I think the amount of heat exchange could be really good. It’s not a complicated layout, I’m pretty sure the machine shop down the street from me could make one of these things in a matter of minutes. Then I can test it and decide whether or not I’m willing to scrape up the…cough…$3000 (minimum) to get this thing patented properly. Even if it’s not patentable, if it works well, there’s a certain amount of satisfaction to having design my own block. Also, it will probably end up costing less than a store-bought one, which is an added bonus.

Coincidentally, I’m hanging out with two different patent attorneys tomorrow and Saturday. One just passed the Bar exam, the other (I kid you not) patented Laser Disc and Taser technology. He’s also patented manifolds for Edlebrock and countless other things. They’re both engineers, so they’ll be able to tell me if my idea has real merit or not. Anyways, that’s neither here nor there at the moment. Right now, I need a couple things in order to test this block if/when I get it made:

1) I need the precise dimensions for a Core 2 Duo chip, so I can make sure that the waterblock’s contact plate is the correct size. And also how much wiggle-room I have on the edges so the block isn’t bumping into anything on the mobo. I’ll search around, but I’m just wondering if anyone knew off the top of their head?

2) I will have to fasten this thing to the mobo. I can probably fashion my own mounting plate without too much trouble. But I’d be just as happy with a prefab mounting kit. I’ve done a little searching but haven’t found one yet. Does anyone have a link to a good one?

3) I’d love to see pics of other people’s homemade blocks, and comments on how they turned out. Do people have strong opinions about homemade vs. store-bought? How do the numbers (cost, performance) compare?

Thanks all,
~Fudge

:welcome: to the Forums.

Now, in the upper right side of the Forum page,
click on Search, then go to Advanced Search.

You'll be able to answer all your questions I'm sure.

Home made water blocks are the snizzle. :)

Its how it all got started.

Hope to see ya around more & keep us posted on your progress.

:attn:
WarriorII

You should be able to find the specs for C2Ds at intel's site. Also most waterblocks come with standard 6-32 (or metric equivalent) bolts that are long enough to accommodate the mounting plate and spring setup.

Back