• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

matching 2.5 GB; Crucial ballistix and Corsair Twinx (bh-5)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CosmicGrooves

Registered
I know many people are using newer ram, i'm one that has not made the change yet. I got a good price on PC4000 ram on ebay and just upgraded from 1GB to 2.5GB.

Crucial ballistix is PC4000 (2x1GB) sticks with 3-4-4-8 timings. The DFI RS482 automatically set them to 3-3-3-7. I couple of quick tests were not Prime95 stable at first, but worked it out. This RAM is rated at 250FSB.

The Corsair TwinX PC3200 and 2-2-2-5 (2x256) was added. This bh-5 RAM has been stable up to 250mhz FSB at the same tight timings on and Nforce2 so matching these to brands was going to be interesting.

The Bh-5 does not like loose timings. I could not find any Prime95 stable overclock with 2.5-3CL. Even changing to 2-3-3-8 timings, it was unstable.

The Crucial can cruise at 250FSB but at 3-3-3 timings whereas the Corsair can cruise at 250 but at 2-2-2 timings. It must be noted that the Crucial can reach higher FSB than 250 but the Corsair tops out at about 252.

Both brands are stable at 200mhz FSB at 2-2-2 timings for over 20hrs at Prime95, so it seems this is what I'll keep for now I think.

I thought it was interesting how the older bh-5 compared to the somewhat newer ballistix.

24x7 usage
Temps are somewhat high, but Prime is running.

now2df6.jpg

One thing I did not realize about the Crucial RAM is the light show. Green and Red LEDs show RAM activity and blink faster or slower or not at all and the blue glow from under the coolers. My PC froze during some testing and the LEDS were not flashing.

Here are a couple camera phone pics.

ballistixvh5.jpg

ramjx4.jpg

Last edited:
Back