• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ehh, wrong algaecide product ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raizy

Check out the pic attached, I'm just supposed to place the bag inside the water. Not sure if I should open it up and put it in my water loop. Is algaecide supposed to be some type of liquid or something that looks like muddy soil (the one I have)?

Or what other type of well-known (easy to find) chemical can I put in my loop so algae doesn't grow? I got some 50% Isopropyl Alcohol, not sure if that will work though. (Edit... don't use iso pro alcohol it apparently degrades plastics and other ...stuff :O )

Attachments

• Algaecide.JPG
    Algaecide.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
I'd just add a few drops of iodine to the loop, I've never messed with algaecide stuff, but it looks like it's supposed to go into the water, and not be opened

We dont know if Iodine kills algae, it could be an assumption like how we assumed that ethylene glycol kills bacteria.

I think people in OCF like to use a aquarium algacide its a liquid. However I havent used it before.

Hmm, well you know....maybe I can put it inside a reservoir ? But it might get pushed inside a tube opening and clog... :(

I use to use Povidone Iodine but have switched to Aquarium Algaecide, it is concentrated and cheap (follow label directions).

Instead of trying to use it in your rez, I'd use it as a sort of tea bag.
Soak it in a cup of distilled water overnight and then use that water in your loop.

Either that or throw it in your Mom's aquarium and try again.

Looks like it's designed to remove nutrients from the water. If there are no fish in your system, I say just use poison.

SiGfever said:
I use to use Povidone Iodine but have switched to Aquarium Algaecide, it is concentrated and cheap (follow label directions).
Iodine kills bacteria and fungi, but apparently not algae. Algaecide kills algae, but probably not bacteria or fungi. I don't think any of us are 100% sure at this point, but my best guess is that you need both iodine and algaecide.

I have used for like 2 years now a drop of fish aquarium algaecide from Walmart with a few drops of alcohol free povidone-iodine thrown in for good measure. The longest run before draining/refilling with this combination was about 8 months in a friend's rig that I watercooled for him, and nothing grew. In my rig I am doing good if I make it 4 months before I drain to tweak with something or another. Using both isn't going to bother a thing, and I prefer to err on the side of caution.

I wouldn't use that bagged stuff.

Back