• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upscaling DVD player vs. PC as DVD player

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oso_fast

Hey guys,

I just got a new LCD HDTV screen. I hooked up my computer to it via a dvi-hdmi connector. I use it to play vairous dvd and some divx movies

My question is, would i get better quality if I were to get an upscaling dvd player to play my dvds as opposed to playing my dvds through my computer? Or does my computer automatically upscale?

Thank in advance

Wicked Klown said:
Best bet would be to give FFDshow a try and see what you think. It's a free download so if your not happy your not out anything. You can find a nice FFDshow write up over at AVSForums

FO SHO... any standalone dvd player holds NOTHIGN against a properly setup computer with ffdshow and the right codecs... i gotta get on my ffdshow / purevideo writeup, its just been way crazy with Prom and the end of my highschool life comming to a very quick close.

I run a Shuttle PC with an X800PRO video card via HDMI-DVI to my Samsung 1080p LCD @ 1920 x 1080. I just use PowerDVD on it without FFDshow, or any other enhancements, and it looks great. No pixelation, or any issues. I also have a basic Upconverting DVD player, and the HTPC definately looks better than the DVD Player.

BTW, what enhancements does FFDshow add to make the picture look better?

I use windows media player classic, Ill have to check to see if it has ffdraw or w/e. Ill look into this tonight.

Thanks guys!

oso_fast said:
I use windows media player classic, Ill have to check to see if it has ffdraw or w/e. Ill look into this tonight.

Thanks guys!

Naw FFDshow is a stand alone download. It MPC is in the FFDshow download tho.

Back