• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8GBs - 3.4GHz (8x425) Stable!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Atomic Dawg

I've been playing with my system for a month now and haven't been able to get stable past a 414 FSB. I've tried and tried to hit 3.4GHz (8x425) and couldn't do it. Then I came across this post. The post claimed that raising PCI-E would affect your ability to overclock the FSB. Specifically, raising PCI-E to 110 and over. So what the heck...it's worth a try. I set mutli=8, FSB=425, PCI-E=115 and vCore=1.450. All other voltages were set to auto. Booted right up! I ran two instances of Prime95 for over an hour without any problems! Up until now, I've had PCI-E set to Auto, 100 or 101. So what's the deal with this? Any theories?!?

I only ran this one test. It should be interesting to see how far I can go!

Last edited:
8x425_1.png

8x425_2.png

8x425_3.png

Well both of you have Gigabyte DS3 motherboards. I haven't heard of this though.

does windows xp enen recognize over 3 gb of ur 8? cpuz does but can you actually use 8 gb of ram... jezus whata waste IMO... nice clock tho.

With a 15% overclock of the PCI bus shouldn't you be worried about file corruption?
I know if you ran 38/76 on a PCI/AGP (33/66 stock) bus you would have problems.

fabulouscoops said:
With a 15% overclock of the PCI bus shouldn't you be worried about file corruption?
Normally you can get away with a decent overclock on the PCI-E bus. Actually, there are a number of boards that overclock it automatically.

nd4spdbh2 said:
does windows xp enen recognize over 3 gb of ur 8? cpuz does but can you actually use 8 gb of ram... jezus whata waste IMO... nice clock tho.
I'm running XP 64-bit. Plus, it came with a coupon to upgrade to Vista Business 64-bit. I got an email stating my upgrade shipped so I'll soon get a chance to play with Vista. As far as it being a waste, I downloaded this VHD the other day. It's MS SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition running on Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition. I loaded MS Dynamics AX on top of that. I gave this machine 3GB of RAM and it took 55 minutes to compile AX. While it was doing that, I was free to do what ever I wanted. I can't begin to tell you how happy I am with this new machine. If all I wanted to do is play games, I would have only purchased 2GB of RAM.

fabulouscoops said:
I don't know if I should be worried... I know that until now, there really hasn't been a reason to overclock PCI-E. Has anyone overclocked PCI-E to 115~120 and ran into any problems?

Let's keep this thread on topic. The real story is bumping the PCI-E to 115 gave me the stability to run four 2GB sticks at a 425 FSB. This raises some questions:
  • As fabulouscoops mentioned, will this cause file corruption?
  • Does this only apply to a certain type of RAM?
  • Does this only apply to Gigabyte DS3 motherboards?
  • Are there any trade offs?
  • Why is this happening? What's the theory behind this?

PCIe bus shouldn't affect HD data. I believe people are thinking of back in the day when HDs were part of the PCI bus and oc'ing it could cause file corruption.

On my board when you enable linkboost and GPUeX it auto sets your pcie frequency to 120. i personally dont like it like that so i have it running at 100. im not going for a killer OC i just want to get 17K on 3dmark06 and play fear and C&C3 and a bunch of other games.

Oh and of course forld for team 32.

Eldonko said:
You need to buy vista or all that mem is just taking up space. XP uses 2.9gb max.

Any 32-bit version of windows (or any OS) can access a maximum of 4GB of memory. However, in 32-bit land a chunk of upper memory (above 3.2GB or so) is reserved for various addressing (PCI, etc.). A 64-bit OS - Vista, XP or otherwise - can access and use 2^64 addresses, versus the 2^32 addresses available to a 32-bit OS.

To get back on topic, I'm interested in the correlation between the PCI-E bus speed and the potential to run more memory with a stable overclock. I have to D9-based RAM on the way for a new C2D setup, so I'll be checking this out.

as far as data corruption, that will still occur if you go to high on a pci-e bus, usually over 120 is asking for trouble as it messes with the sata bus

One member here is running a 125MHz PCIe bus. Maybe he'll chime in with some feedback. I forget which member specifically but he lists it in his sig.

it should be ok. still, make back-ups often :p

a preventive solution to hd corruption while running pci-e out of specs would be to put your drives on an add-on controller. something pci-e that has it's own hardware proceeding, like a mid-range raid card should do nicely.

Back