• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Try and explain this one...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

striker85

I had just upgraded my 2x512 of Kingston Hyperx to 2x1GB of Hyperx with the computer in my signature. I figured that the 512 stick and the 1GB stick had more or less the same potential with overclocking so I left my settings in the BIOS the same (2-3-3-6 witha divider which put it at 190mhz). And the new memory ran with those settings. But I noticed that BF2142 was running like crap (inconsistent and always high pings, extreme lag issues with gameplay). Also, my sound card was producing choppy and generally crappy sound. After pulling my hair out over what could be causing the problem I started tweaking my memory settings out of last resort fiddling. I put it at the settings in my signature now (3-3-3-6 @ 280mhz...that's right 280). And now my computer runs like a cheetah. BF2142 has never run smoother, STALKER runs FANTASTIC with the settings maxed, and my sound card is producing chop free sound. Now...please tell me why in the hell changing those memory settings could make all of those problems I had.

Ive had that happen to me before... i think that sometimes certain timings and clockspeeds dont mix. It will remain stable, but there's a serious latency issue somewhere within the ram itself. With my old ram clocked to like 240mhz I backed my cas off from 2.5 to 3 and it actually ran allot better.

Back