• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Channel ram question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tranzserver

Can I use dual channel memory kits on a non-dual channel computer? I just want to know if I could use them as normal single channel ram

My mobo doesn't support dual channel but my question is can I use dual channel memory as normal single channel memory

:welcome:
Yes, I've done it on PIII mobos with 2x512 sticks. It just gives you 1G of single channel which works great. Just watch mobos designed for 266 with DDR400, sometimes the lats have to be manually set due to the mobo not knowing what DDR400 is. If your mobo supports DDR333 or DDR400 then it's not an issue.

tranzserver said:
Can I use dual channel memory kits on a non-dual channel computer? I just want to know if I could use them as normal single channel ram
Yes, you can use them. Dual channel kits are simply 2 matching DIMMs that have been certified to work together on a dual channel MOBO but, it is still just RAM. There is no such thing as dual channel RAM, only dual channel kits of RAM matched for use with dual channel MOBOs.

Back