• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Re-doing my loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperDave1685

Hey guys, I just have a few questions. I'm going to be re-doing my loop here in a few days and I just wanted some input. I have a Black Ice Extreme Radiator- the single 120mm one... I have a old 92mm tornado just sitting here.. I was thinking of buying an adapter to fit the Tornado to the 120mm rad.. but I can't find any 92mm to 120mm adapters :shrug: I've heard this radiator likes airflow, so I'm hoping the Tornado will help push some air through it and give me a bit better temps. The radiator is sitting on the counter behind my computer and I wish to move the rad to the top of my case, on the outside.. I have a jigsaw and a few hole saw bits to drill with and I have some sandpaper to work with here... no dremel sorry lol. I was thinking of mounting the rad on the top of the case with the Tornado on the bottom pushing air up through the rad and my Antec 120mm on top pulling... I was going to just mount the rad flush to the case, with the tornado actually inside the case... make sense?

Will finish the post in a few minutes.. changing computers here at work lol

SuperDave1685 said:
Hey guys, I just have a few questions. I'm going to be re-doing my loop here in a few days and I just wanted some input. I have a Black Ice Extreme Radiator- the single 120mm one... I have a old 92mm tornado just sitting here.. I was thinking of buying an adapter to fit the Tornado to the 120mm rad.. but I can't find any 92mm to 120mm adapters :shrug: I've heard this radiator likes airflow, so I'm hoping the Tornado will help push some air through it and give me a bit better temps. The radiator is sitting on the counter behind my computer and I wish to move the rad to the top of my case, on the outside.. I have a jigsaw and a few hole saw bits to drill with and I have some sandpaper to work with here... no dremel sorry lol. I was thinking of mounting the rad on the top of the case with the Tornado on the bottom pushing air up through the rad and my Antec 120mm on top pulling... I was going to just mount the rad flush to the case, with the tornado actually inside the case... make sense?

Will finish the post in a few minutes.. changing computers here at work lol

Makes sense, but I would order a 120mm delta instead, about the same noise, more airflow (and no adapter).

I dont like to push air through a rad. There is too much resistance. I prefer to pull air through the rad, this acts like a vaccum and in my opinion gives better airflow through the fins.

In your situation what I would do is put he rad flush against the case, then have the tornado on the outside pulling air through the rad. As for a shroud you could try to make your own. Not too hard to make.

One time what I did was used a glue gun to glue four long screws to the rad, which acted like posts. Then I used wing nuts, two on each post to hold the fan where I wanted it. Once that was done I used duct tape to seal off the gap between the fan and rad as it was about an inch gap. Worked really well, though it was very ghetto looking.

ehhh... I'm back.. I forgot what else I was going to post lol. But yeah, I can't seem to find my Tornado anywhere in my apartment, so it looks like I'm going to have to buy some new 120mm fans... any good fans? (I know nothing about them)

Back