• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removeable chiller addition?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oroka Sempai

Honestly, I dont really OC much, some days I am just greatful for a stable PC, and I need to learn about OCing a little more indepth, but that is something else all together.

So, I got my WC loop installed about a month ago, and since then I put a window in one of my DVD-RWs, and now I need something else to do.

Here is my idea. I could add some quick disconnect connectors to some tubing, and add a to be built chiller unit. This way, I can use the chiller when at home, and disconnect it when I am away with the computer and just use the watercooling loop.

Do I need this... no, but it give me something to do (ignore the 30 unbuilt model kits, art supplies, and new car plz). I just like seeing my CPU temp down really low :D

So, anyone seen or done something like this? Thoughts, comments, cheers, jeers?

I'm going to do something similar at some point. Honestly, you can buy a window unit for $90 (or less), and probably add another $30 in modifications (you basically only need a water cooler and jig saw and some silicon sealant), that's cheaper than a fair number radiators out there. But I would use it as my permanent cooling solution. It would add on to the electric bill, but I don't think by much.

I wouldn't want to wrap anything, so I would use the thermal probe on the unit and set it to 50 or 55 deg depending on what it's minimum is. I don't think it would sweat much at just ~20 under ambient, but it should net CPU temps in the low 30's C load... Sounds nice to me!
Dan

Low 30's C load? My watercooling loop gives me 31c load OCed by 200MHz, and that is with only one 120mm fan on my 2x120mm blackice rad. I am looking at going down >10c

Oroka Sempai said:
Low 30's C load? My watercooling loop gives me 31c load OCed by 200MHz, and that is with only one 120mm fan on my 2x120mm blackice rad. I am looking at going down >10c

A. that's cold. What are your ambients. B. the setup I'm thinking about would lower water temps to 10 C, so depending on your ambient (assuming its around 20 C or 70 F) would lower your CPU temps as much as 10 C.

I was simply giving a conservative estimate, thinking roughly an 8 C drop off of a ~40 C CPU.

zebkoolindc said:
At that low of temps you will need to insulate and seal everything to prevent condensation.

At 10 C I think it would be ok, anything lower and I would worry.
Dan

Back