• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why I still love my DDR.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KaosInc.

Registered
I never really got to overclocking and tweaking my RAM until recently that is (having usually set everything to auto). The results which I got, frankly surprised me. I currently have a pair of PC3200 512mb Corsair XMS Pro 3500LLPRO running in dual channel. Set with timings of 3-3-2-6 (T1) I managed to get them running at 280mhz with only 2.85 Volts!!! Verification here (I got them to run momentarily at 310mhz 3-4-4-8 (2T) but they were not stable during Memtest/Orthos. :bang head )

This is the reason I love my DDR. :bday:

Do any of you have (or had) a set of DDR which you absolutely loved???
I wanna hear about it before they become an endangered species.

I have a 1GB (512mb x 2) of some OCZ Enhanced Bandwidth PC3500 2.5-3-2-6 2.8v stock. When I used to have my A64 and DFI board I got these stick all the way up to ~280mhz, stock timings, 3.1v. I know they can do better with more voltage. I always wanted to get an OCZ booster but never got around to it.

inkfx said:
I have a 1GB (512mb x 2) of some OCZ Enhanced Bandwidth PC3500 2.5-3-2-6 2.8v stock. When I used to have my A64 and DFI board I got these stick all the way up to ~280mhz, stock timings, 3.1v. I know they can do better with more voltage. I always wanted to get an OCZ booster but never got around to it.

More voltage??? Wouldn't that fry those RAM modules? Either way, I also wanted to get a set of OCZ booster but the store I frequent didn't have them in stock, got the Corsair instead.

Question: How do you know how much voltage your RAM can take? Intuition? Or just set it and hope it doesn't die on you?

speed bump said:
I have a set of BH-5 thats good for 270mhz plus in my backup rig.

If you could post the timings and volts that would be awesome. Only if you have the time though.

A lot of those old DDR kits loved high voltage, mine being one of them. I remember guys putting like 3.5v through their memory without a hitch. Most I remember seeing was around 3.7v, I think. I just rely on an 80mm fan blowing air on the modules. :)

OK, I'll bite....

Don't have this set anymore, but it was Kingston hyper-x BH5.

venice8.JPG

-Collin-

inkfx said:
A lot of those old DDR kits loved high voltage, mine being one of them. I remember guys putting like 3.5v through their memory without a hitch. Most I remember seeing was around 3.7v, I think. I just rely on an 80mm fan blowing air on the modules. :)

How about my 3.79 volts? :beer:

-Collin-

NinjaZX6R said:
How about my 3.79 volts? :beer:

-Collin-

Wow, I never knew they could take so much. This basically means, back to RAM tweaking for me. I'll try to make that 310mhz stable. :burn:

KaosInc. said:
Wow, I never knew they could take so much. This basically means, back to RAM tweaking for me. I'll try to make that 310mhz stable. :burn:

Not so fast partner. I wouldn't go that high with just any ram if I were you. I am positive you don't have BH5, so I wouldn't even recommend anything over 2.9v or so. Maybe 3.0v, but I would have to double check what chips your ram uses.

-Collin-

Is there a way to find out the chip type my modules are using? Another thing, I'll bet there is a sticky on this or something but, what are the chips which offer the most overclocking potential apart from the said BH5?

Edit: I managed not to see your sticky on chip types, lol. BTW Great sticky.

Last edited:
KaosInc. said:
Is there a way to find out the chip type my modules are using? Another thing, I'll bet there is a sticky on this or something but, what are the chips which offer the most overclocking potential apart from the said BH5?

Edit: I managed not to see your sticky on chip types, lol. BTW Great sticky.

Thanks...a little outdated. I really wish I had the time to do something similar for DDR2!

-Collin-

310?, are you kidding me? i was excited when my ram booted at 263, tried to go to 290 but nothing, havent taken it farther...yet ill loosen the timings and try for 280 or so i really want to get rid of my ratio
3-4-4-8 but anything looser than that really doesnt make a difference, i used to use 2.5-3-3-6 @ 247 that was with my venice

my 2gb set is running at 233Mhz 2.5,3,2,5 1T. Its good for just under 250Mhz with looser timings. Never tried 2T with them. And don't forget, this is a 2x1Gb set.

Back