• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A new heatspreader question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JMScomp

Registered
I,ve seen a lot of posts on how to remove heatspreaders from memory chips, but what's the best thermal material for putting them back on again?

Well, you can start with artic silver 5 Thermal Compound which can be purchased on Newegg for about 5$. Artic silver is probably the most used thermal compound among the community. Further more don't just apply it on your ram modules, but do so on your CPU, GPU and Chipsets to see a drop in temperature.

I mix normal AS5 + a bit of epoxy. Just buy a thermo stable epoxy like alderite its strong even at 75 deg C.

Thanks. I use Arctic Silver 5 already on everything else, but wasn't sure if it would work on RAM (didn't know how strong the clips were). My heatspreaders do have clips, but just out of curiosity what about ones that don't?

JMScomp said:
Thanks. I use Arctic Silver 5 already on everything else, but wasn't sure if it would work on RAM (didn't know how strong the clips were). My heatspreaders do have clips, but just out of curiosity what about ones that don't?

I hope you have BGA style ram chips, and not the old TSOP variant. The old stuff had the legs exposed and though AS5 is not conductive, I believe that it is capacitive. I hope you don't fry your ram.

If it was my ram, I probably would either run them naked with a fan pointed at them, or as a last resort, use high quality thermal tape. That way you would not run the risk of destroying your ram.

Hope your RAM is BGA style, and good luck.

Bryan d

theres another variant to the as5. i can't quite remember if it was the ceramique. but its not conductive. bryan_d is right, i would also run the RAM naked; the heatspreaders aren't very effective.

Whats the difference between BGA and TSOP? As far as I know it's an OCZ ddr pc3200 512mb.I would run it without it's heatspreaders, but they're copper, and it's already running hot, so I was going to replace the thermal compound.
I do have a 256mb HyperX Kingston next to it that can lose its heatspreaders (its running cold).
As for the thermal tape/pads, I don't have anyplace to readily get either (Radioshack or nothing). The middle of nowhere really sucks!

Whats the difference between BGA and TSOP?
Forget that question. I looked it up on wiki. I don't know which it is, but since I bought it new about 3 years ago I beleive that it's BGA.

Sorry about the lapse in intelligence (LOL).

Back