• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WC N00b, what to add to water?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

treatmentx

I've been hearing alot of things people add to their water to WC rigs

Coolant
Algecides
Anti-corrosives
Alcohol
Vinegar?

(not particularly interested in UV dyes or showy things, just maintainence/performance)

I recently got this kit as recommended by the helpful forum members
http://www.crazypc.com/products/9370.html

comes with this coolant
http://www.crazypc.com/products/9355.html

Should I just add this and not worry, or should I consider other things??? And I hear about 1 or 2 years, i should washout, retube, refill. Any other advice I need before my kit arrives tomorrow? =|

Hydrx should work fine. Might as well use it if you've got it anyway.

If you want to do it yourself next time, try
distilled water - 95%
Zerex Racing Super Coolant (different than the antifreeze of the same brand) 5%
Iodine - 10-20 drops/liter
aquarium algaecide - follow directions

treatmentx said:
Any other advice I need before my kit arrives tomorrow? =|
Use stainless steel worm drive hose clamps.

Last edited:
I used Hydra-X once when I first started into watercooling, and it will do the job, but personally I don't care for it, and i have read threads of people having growth issues still using it. I would go with what Otter outlined above, except I don't care for Zerex racing coolant as it can cloud the fire out of tubing. Any color of Pentosin antifreeze works well (the typical are blue and red).

If I remember right, both Clearflex 60, which clouds regardless, and Tygon R3603 were what I was using at the time. I have read of others here having the same issue with Zerex.

Otter said:
Hydrx should work fine. Might as well use it if you've got it anyway.

If you want to do it yourself next time, try
distilled water - 95%
Zerex Racing Super Coolant (different than the antifreeze of the same brand) 5%
Iodine - 10-20 drops/liter
aquarium algaecide - follow directions

Use stainless steel worm drive hose clamps.

Yea, I have it anyways, so I was going to use it. But should I ADD to it, say, the iodine/algaecide ? And what's the story behind alcohol/vinegar. Alcohol for ... cooling or cleaning ? and I have no idea what purpose vinegar would have.

Vinegar is only to clean, not to run in the loop. Alcohol works for killing growth, but it's not widely used.

HydrX is supposed to have algaecide in it already, so I wouldn't bother adding anything to it.

Alcohol is used as a coolant in chillers, but for ambient cooling, there are better options.

Yes use it since you have it but next time use ( after you are out of Hydrex) Use what otter has listed .

Back