• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about Dangerden for Canadians

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raizy

Okay, it's going to be 60 bucks for shipping from DD... YIKES! I e-mailed them and they said they can refund shipping prices by shipping it via. USPS (is that the same postal company as UPS??) Reason being was because there is only two shipping options on their site. BTW it was weird because last week I was checking parts/doing research and tried to how much shipping would cost; it was only 35 bucks! This week it's saying 60 bucks!

Has anyone did this? They told me, "We can ship USPS which is cheaper and refund you the difference. Just write in comments that you want this." Any Canadians did this before? How did it work out ?

USPS is the United States Postal Service, while UPS is the United Parcel Service. They are two different companies. I'm not sure what's up with the pricing and such, srry. All I can clear up is the company stuff.

I've not dealt with Danger Den myself but I will say USPS (US post office) is far better than UPS. I bought something off someone on the forums and he agreed to send it USPS. Then I get a message " btw I decided to send it UPS because it was easier for me" and I got SCREWED. What was supposed to be a used item at used prices turned into a used item at $15 over brand new prices once the brokering fees were added in. Do yourself a favor, DO NOT use UPS/Fedex/any other courier, use regular US mail.

my 2 cents.

DO NOT USE UPS FOR CROSS BORDER SHIPPING!!!!

UPS charges a $50 brokering fee on any retail package crossing the border, and you have to pay it, cash before you get your package. I insist on USPS for cross border shipping, and when it hits Canada, Canadapost handles it from there. Unless it is a big package, you might get off scott free, but there is the chance you will be charged taxes on your order, payable at the post office when you pick it up.

Take a look at NCIX.com, they have the best selection of WC parts in Canada AFAIK, you only pay GST (unless you are from BC), and you will proably get your order next day via Purolator. I order my stuff around noon EST, which is like... 8am in BC, so your order goes out that afternoon.

I actually did order all my parts from NCIX.com I cancelled it though. I wanted the TEC version of the Maze4 Block... they don't have it; only the normal waterblock. If I get the maze4 from DD site, it's 50 bucks shipping. I freakin' hate you Americans... you get all the best computer stores.. DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bang head

thideras said:
I very much disagree with this...I've yet to have any problems with their service, and I've have had alot of parts shipped through them and FedEx...
Perhaps so but living in the USA you don't have the same experience reference point that the rest of us in this thread have. Try buying something that costs $10 and then have it shipped to you for a total cost of $50 or more and see how you feel about it.

eobard said:
Perhaps so but living in the USA you don't have the same experience reference point that the rest of us in this thread have. Try buying something that costs $10 and then have it shipped to you for a total cost of $50 or more and see how you feel about it.

Ouch, didn't take that into consideration...

I'm just wondering, why can't stores ship small items for cheap shipping -- or even free? Example...a single peltier or cold plates.

khriez said:
I'm just wondering, why can't stores ship small items for cheap shipping -- or even free? Example...a single peltier or cold plates.

It's the shipping companies who are charging such outrageous rates, not the stores. By offering cheap/free shipping, they either take a hit on their profit or have to raise their prices to adjust.

Anyways, here's the UPS brokerage fees matrix (quite difficult to find by just searching their website):

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

Here's a UPS story for you. Today two new drivers for UPS show up at my workplace. The one guy is just about tripping over me as I try to stack boxes on a skid that needs to go out. The "goods" are shoes. We had one box that was a computer that had just been repaired by our tech guy and was being sent priority to a store. We told the UPS guy we had one box of priority and so he 1) picks it up off the counter 2) turns around so he's facing the other direction and 3) SLAMS it down hard onto the floor. He then picks it up and walks over to the truck and SLAMS it down in the back of the truck. He did this right in front of everyone. HE THREW THE COMPUTER DOWN ONTO THE FLOOR WITH US WATCHING. :rolleyes: Use UPS at your peril.

Last edited:
eobard said:
Here's a UPS story for you. Today two new drivers for UPS show up at my workplace. The one guy is just about tripping over me as I try to stack boxes on a skid that needs to go out. The "goods" are shoes. We had one box that was a computer that had just been repaired by our tech guy and was being sent priority to a store. We told the UPS guy we had one box of priority and so he 1) picks it up off the counter 2) turns around so he's facing the other direction and 3) SLAMS it down hard onto the floor. He then picks it up and walks over to the truck and SLAMS it down in the back of the truck. He did this right in front of everyone. HE THREW THE COMPUTER DOWN ONTO THE FLOOR WITH US WATCHING. :rolleyes:

I really hope you beat the living crap out of him...

Myself and the other people in shipping reported it to the boss, who reported to the tech guy, who I'm told didn't seem interested or concerned. Hopefully the boss will run it up the UPS chain of command to get something done though.

I wonder if you guys see the UPS commercial.. LOL when i saw that i laughed out loud because its completely BULL****.

"Its not just customer service, its your customer service with UPS"

LOL

Man this sucks, I paid 47 dollars for FedEx Economy. It arrived today, and there is a 46.93 dollar C.O.D. on it!!! almost 100 dollar shipping, about 1/3 of the cost of my order.... FREAKIN' I GOT OWNED!!!!

I don't want to throw salt in your wounds (today), but you can get just about everything DangerDen (and most other decent watercooling companies) sells at NCIX.

khriez said:
Man this sucks, I paid 47 dollars for FedEx Economy. It arrived today, and there is a 46.93 dollar C.O.D. on it!!! almost 100 dollar shipping, about 1/3 of the cost of my order.... FREAKIN' I GOT OWNED!!!!

Yup, that would be the brokerage fees we mentioned. UPS charges this fee because they can bypass customs to speed up your delivery... and you pay the 'brokerage fees' for that bypass of customs.

Thus, why I only order stuff from within Canada if I cant get USPS. Even with USPS, on bigger packages Customs will hit you for taxes. I got a broken laptop from a friend in Minnisota, it was held at customs for 1 month, and I got charged $100 tax.

Knacko said:
I don't want to throw salt in your wounds (today), but you can get just about everything DangerDen (and most other decent watercooling companies) sells at NCIX.

Yeah :( I ordered from danger because Ncix.com or any other computer canadian stores doesn't sell the Cold plates/ or peltier versions of the blocks. I always have to learn the hard way. I am not even using the peltier anymore I think my system almost short circuited from condensation, there was some water inside the neoprene hole after removing the blocks.

Anyways for some update:

Core / Memory / 3d Mark 03 Score / Processor speed

670 / 460 / 5319 / 1.6 Ghz
stock 400/400 / 4838 / 1.6 Ghz
625 / 450 / 5791 / 1.8 Ghz
625 / 450 / 5697 / 1.6 Ghz

The two bolds, are a weird comparison, 625/450 scored higher than 670/460.

On the 5th test, my monitor went black, and all I could see was fraps. I reboot computer, and it said something about Windows PCI driver is corrupted. I reformatted. :bang head and removed the TEC/cleaned up my ideo card and I'm using plain water cooling.

At 450/450 the temps are 35°C Idle and 37°C at full load for 20 mins using rthdribl v.1.2 http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/

Back